Portuguese: don't you need a macro here?

Portuguese: don't you need a macro here?

Jose - russianforfree.com

I would say that you need a macro here to change the gender of "Prezado"

<translation><from>Dear <t.name/>,</from><to>Prezado <n.name/>,</to></translation>

...or rather, taking into account that you don't know the sex the of the user, I would translate "dear" in Portugues for something more like "Hello", where you don't need to identify the gender. Maybe "Olá" o "cumprimientos" (I forgot most of my Portuguese, so I can't help much).

Re: Portuguese: don't you need a macro here?

Jose - russianforfree.com

...or you can say "Prezado/a"

I have the same issue with the Spanish translation.

- The option of "hello" is informal.
- The option of "Prezado/a" makes it look like an automatic message (I never like this option)

Re: Portuguese: don't you need a macro here?

Jose - russianforfree.com

Here we have the same issue again.
Unless we come up with some alternative message, we should carry on with the masculine option

Re: Portuguese: don't you need a macro here?

Jose - russianforfree.com wrote
I would say that you need a macro here to change the gender of "Prezado"

<translation><from>Dear <t.name/>,</from><to>Prezado <n.name/>,</to></translation>
It is impossible to know if the user is man or woman, so the right translation in portuguese is "Prezado(a)". I fixed the file. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

No, here the word "usuário" is masculine, so doesn't matter if the user is a man or woman. The sentence will not vary in this case.

At least in Spanish we would have usuario (masculine) and usuaria (feminine), so theoretically a woman wouldn't feel represented when addressing her as "prezado usuario". But never mind, thinking of an alternative wouldn't make it look much better anyway.

Re: Portuguese: don't you need a macro here?

Peter <Nabble>
Well, here we have also usuária and we could say Prezado usuário, Prezada usuária or even Prezado(a) usuário(a). Prezado usuário in places where we can't know if the user is male or female is also acceptable as an alternative to the last one.

Thank you for reporting that one too.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.