Photo (map) gallery

1234 ... 9

Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
I'd like to create a subforum that contains ski maps.  I'd like it to use as much space as possible, eliminating the avatars.  (Or maybe using the small version ONLY in this forum?)

The maps tend to be detailed, so the bigger I can post them the better:

Any way I can use the full width of the forum without creating another app?

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Peter <Nabble>
Before going into this, who you think removing the avatar would make it big enough? The reason I'm asking is that I think you might try any image sharing service or file sharing service.
You might want to try the Gallery too.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
I want whatever I do to fit into the confines of my embed window to maintain consistency.  And I want those images on my domain.  So I would like to get the most possible space within the available area.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
Will that page be static? If yes, then the easiest you can do is create the (sub)forum and put the image in its description area. So people would see that as a static HTML page (we would need some NAML code to hide the empty topics table below the image). If you want to allow discussions related to the map/image, then we should keep the forum features intact. Please let me know what you think.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Will that page be static? If yes, then the easiest you can do is create the (sub)forum and put the image in its description area. So people would see that as a static HTML page (we would need some NAML code to hide the empty topics table below the image). If you want to allow discussions related to the map/image, then we should keep the forum features intact. Please let me know what you think.
Very good question.  My original thought was not to have any discussion.  I am leaning that way but let me think on it.

(Actually the MAGAZINE format might work nicely for this but that content wouldn't make sense in that part of our website.)

Is it fair to assume that hiding the avatars to get the extra width is not that hard?

Also (unfortunately) this would affect my decision on the automatic filling-in of the end of title tags for the forum ( | NY Ski Forum ). I 'd  want to go back to writing the entire title tag within the customization feature (change titles and meta) because I wouldn't want the maps to have the same ending.  I'd have to go back and redo the 50 or so custom titles again, but it is what it is.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
(Actually the MAGAZINE format might work nicely for this but that content wouldn't make sense in that part of our website.)
How many maps do you think you will have?
I thought you wanted just one map. If you have several maps to share, then a gallery or news/magazine type could work well.
Harvey44 wrote
Is it fair to assume that hiding the avatars to get the extra width is not that hard?
If you have just one map, then you can use the forum description to post it. So you shouldn't worry about avatars on that page. But if you have several maps, then we should certainly use the magazine post format, which makes good use of the horizontal space.
Harvey44 wrote
Also (unfortunately) this would affect my decision on the automatic filling-in of the end of title tags for the forum ( | NY Ski Forum ). I 'd  want to go back to writing the entire title tag within the customization feature (change titles and meta) because I wouldn't want the maps to have the same ending.  I'd have to go back and redo the 50 or so custom titles again, but it is what it is.
If you want, I can run a query in your forum and get the list of custom tiles you have. Please let me know.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
I will have about 50 maps. I really would rather not manage another app.  But if that is the best way let me know.

Not sure I understand what you mean about not worrying about avatars. They are taking up space I could use?

I may take you up on the query.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
I will have about 50 maps. I really would rather not manage another app.  But if that is the best way let me know.
You don't have to manage another app. You should just create a new sub app and change its app type to gallery or news.
Harvey44 wrote
Not sure I understand what you mean about not worrying about avatars. They are taking up space I could use?
Since you have several maps, then you should use the magazine page format, which has a small avatar in it.
Harvey44 wrote
I may take you up on the query.
Here is a list with all custom titles you have.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Feeling pretty dumb. I had no idea you could change a sub-app to something different then the parent.

But I guess my top level is mixed and my other apps are forums right?

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
Your root app has the CATEGORY type (renamed to "forum" in your case) and your subapps have the FORUM type. Just create a new subapp with type GALLERY or NEWS.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

EDIT: A few issues I see:

Would like better "separation" between the post and the advertisements the way it is in the forum.

Also would like to hide the comment feature. I can lock the topic but then you get the message that says please request access.  I'm sure it would be easy to remove comments from EVERYTHING in NAML, but I'd just want to do it in that sub forum.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Thanks for the link to the custom titles.

Looks like I only have to adjust the ones that don't have the ending?

|NY Ski Forums

?

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey44 wrote
Would like better "separation" between the post and the advertisements the way it is in the forum.
Are you talking about normal forum threads or where the maps will be displayed (magazine-like pages)?
If you have a link, please post it.
Harvey44 wrote
Also would like to hide the comment feature. I can lock the topic but then you get the message that says please request access.  I'm sure it would be easy to remove comments from EVERYTHING in NAML, but I'd just want to do it in that sub forum.
Only in the map page? I need a link to a sample page to make those changes for you.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey44 wrote
Looks like I only have to adjust the ones that don't have the ending?

|NY Ski Forums

?
I think so. If this is too much work, I can try to make a query to automate this task. Please let me know.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
Looks like I only have to adjust the ones that don't have the ending?

|NY Ski Forums

?
I think so. If this is too much work, I can try to make a query to automate this task. Please let me know.
I can hand I think.  All you have to do it put it back so that exactly what is in the "change titles" field is the actual title.  Looks like there is only about 20 that I have to fix.  Just let me know when it's done.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
Would like better "separation" between the post and the advertisements the way it is in the forum.
Are you talking about normal forum threads or where the maps will be displayed (magazine-like pages)?
If you have a link, please post it.

In the forum ads are separate by this light colored wrapper:

In the map gallery for some reason they aren't:

Harvey44 wrote
Also would like to hide the comment feature. I can lock the topic but then you get the message that says please request access.  I'm sure it would be easy to remove comments from EVERYTHING in NAML, but I'd just want to do it in that sub forum.
Only in the map page? I need a link to a sample page to make those changes for you.

Yes only on the map forum.  I suppose I still have to decide if it's going to be a newspaper or a gallery.

This is currently in a private area for construction, but you can access it:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/NY-Ski-Area-Trail-Maps-f3405896.html

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Hugo ... the reason I'm having a tough time choosing between gallery and newspaper is that I need the main page of that subforum/gallery to provide a list of maps (without images so that one computer screen can display 50 titles (links to the maps).

Is this possible without too much work?

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Hugo ... the reason I'm having a tough time choosing between gallery and newspaper is that I need the main page of that subforum/gallery to provide a list of maps (without images so that one computer screen can display 50 titles (links to the maps).

Is this possible without too much work?
While I would still like to know the answer to this question, give me some time to upload the images before you do anything. I'm still thinking this through.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

1) I changed the ad style of blog/news/gallery posts to look the same as forum ads. There is no reason for Nabble to keep those ads with different styles. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
2) I removed the comment section of your maps.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Hey my title tags are all wierd now?

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
1) I changed the ad style of blog/news/gallery posts to look the same as forum ads. There is no reason for Nabble to keep those ads with different styles. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
2) I removed the comment section of your maps.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.
Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Photo-map-gallery-tp7043636p7053572.html
To unsubscribe from Photo (map) gallery, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog