PLEASE MAKE AN OPTION TO BLOCK USERS FROM THREADS!

PLEASE MAKE AN OPTION TO BLOCK USERS FROM THREADS!

BeePOD
Not having the ability to block trolls and people that post flamer type comments attempting to cause trouble sure makes the experience of blogging allot less fun. Please make an option so that the person that starts the thread has control of who is commenting within it. I understand that the creator can block people but do you realize how many UNMODERATED FORUMS there are? And I am not talking about banning someone it would just be nice to have the option of who can comment in ones threads... For instance recently a user posted a thread about there dog that had just passed away obviously upset and then here come Ahole troll posting hateful type comments, I mean lets face it all people do not get along and that person that started that thread should have the option to just block that person out taking them out of the equation not allowing them to comment within there thread...

Re: PLEASE MAKE AN OPTION TO BLOCK USERS FROM THREADS!

GregChapman
I am slightly confused by this request. You start with a comment about blogging being less fun, then talk of unmoderated forums.

A blog is a personal web site where only one person creates new topics and others comment (post replies). So the blogger has complete control over who may reply already. No special new feature in Nabble is required to stop a given person from posting a comment. It's a question of setting the appropriate permissions using the existing facilities.

Similarly, on a forum, where many people may be given permission to create a topic, there are already all the features needed (user groups, sub-forums and permissions) to control who can post where. I can see no new feature that could be added to Nabble that will stop the owners of forums from failing to set up their forums in an appropriate manner for their users.

Re: PLEASE MAKE AN OPTION TO BLOCK USERS FROM THREADS!

Peter <Nabble>
Yes, I also got confused. You described very well the reason of your request but can you describe a little better the feature you are requesting?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: PLEASE MAKE AN OPTION TO BLOCK USERS FROM THREADS!

mywaytoo
CENSORED wrote
For instance recently a user posted a thread about there dog that had just passed away obviously upset and then here come Ahole troll posting hateful type comments, I mean lets face it all people do not get along and that person that started that thread should have the option to just block that person out taking them out of the equation not allowing them to comment within there thread...
I took this to mean that it would be nice if the author of a post had control over who was allowed to post on their thread, or rather who was not allowed to post.

It seems to me that this would require non-admin to have control over a permissions screen and group membership...
Anne

Re: PLEASE MAKE AN OPTION TO BLOCK USERS FROM THREADS!

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
It seems to me that this would require non-admin to have control over a permissions screen and group membership...
So did I, hence I added sub-forums into the mix, then you could place the topic that needed that level of control in a dedicated sub-forum and create a special user group for the author of the topic that would include the necessary permissions.

Yes it's a bit of a pain to do for every thread but, in all honesty, I believe the proposal is ill considered. Such unwelcome posts are either likely to be a one-off error of judgement by the poster or you need rid of the poster entirely not just from one thread.

I'd suggest a better approach is to recruit a set of trusted "Assistant Admins" ("Moderators" is the conventional term for the group) and give them the rights to move threads to a sub-forum that is invisible/inaccessible to the general user. You can then make a decision to back your moderator and keep it hidden, or move the post back so it's visible to the ordinary user again. If there's a large number of moderators, then you should also create a sub-forum only accessible to them, to discuss moderation policy.