Opera Web Browser Problem

arrow
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Opera Web Browser Problem

bloggerstop
Yeah I have this loading problem in my forum too.

Re: Opera Web Browser Problem

Hugo <Nabble>
Do you guys really use Opera or are you just testing embedding with that browser? The percentage of Opera users is very low and that browser has issues with our embedding code (most browsers work great with our code). So we think it is not worth adding extra code just to turnaround the bugs from Opera.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Opera Web Browser Problem

ClaudeMobetta
Hi -

I know lots of peeps LOVE FireFox (Opera) and Chrome and Safari - etc -
I have used them also -
Having writted 100s of html code sites - may I say -
Only Internet Explorer reads the html code exactly as written
I don't see any speed diferences in browsers - not worth changing for
And if ya have good protection - there is no safty problems with IE -

Claude

Re: Opera Web Browser Problem

hydrostarr
What sort of implementation impact--software dev, site updates, etc--do you project to adjust nabble.com for the Opera page-reload problem?  I use Opera full time, and so do several of my users.  Trying to move to embeddable nabble forums, and this is a bit of a deterrent.  Would prefer to not force people to Firefox if at all possible.  Thoughts?

Also: trying to get Opera dev to change their code is a challenge.  Been there, done that, rather unsuccessfully for past issues of similar or worse significance.  Not that we can't try, but quite unlikely to have any impact.

In any case: love nabble.com.  Nabble just "does it right"--something that's inexplicably unique (why don't other systems/services/sites/software "get it"?) and incredibly valuable in the internet-messaging world.  Will find a way to use/employ it regardless.  Would just love to not have to abandon Opera (far and away my favorite/fastest/best-feature browser for me and others) in the process.

(and fwiw, Opera-page-reload problem happens for me on both Opera 10.63 and 11.00.  On WinXP Pro.)

Re: Opera Web Browser Problem

hydrostarr
Also of note: weebly.com editing (of a web page with an embedded Nabble forum) in Firefox also appears to have some sort of "reload" problem--the Firefox activity "tab favicon" (but the not the address-field favicon) just sits and spins...forever.  Might these two symptoms have a similar root cause worth solving?

Re: Opera Web Browser Problem

☪Not_A_Admin
Try Firefox Or Google Chrome.

Re: Opera Web Browser Problem

hydrostarr
On Mon Jan 31 2011 11:06:17 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time), ☪✯♛Tanvℯℯr♛✯© [via
Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > Try Firefox Or Google Chrome.

Yes, thank you.  Realize it works on other browsers, but I and some of my users
strongly prefer using Opera.

Nabble devs- Thanks for any consideration.

Re: Opera Web Browser Problem

Werner Furlan
I use Opera as my primary browser and I'd appreciate it if this problem could be solved.
Opera has some advantages and features that I do not want to miss.

Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

Blogger
I've embedded the nabble forum into my blog in the Google's blogspot.
It works quite fine everywhere but Opera. I really like nabble's engine but about 30% of blog's visitors use the Opera Browser.
It looks very strange when the forum's page reloads itself every second.

I have to say, that the Opera Browser is very popular in Russia. As far as I know it shares the 2nd position in popularity (after Firefox).
Please, take a look to fix that problem with reloading.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

ClaudeMobetta
Blogger wrote
I've embedded the nabble forum into my blog in the Google's blogspot.
It works quite fine everywhere but Opera. I really like nabble's engine but about 30% of blog's visitors use the Opera Browser.
It looks very strange when the forum's page reloads itself every second.

I have to say, that the Opera Browser is very popular in Russia. As far as I know it shares the 2nd position in popularity (after Firefox).
Please, take a look to fix that problem with reloading.

Thanks in advance.
If I may add my 2 cents to this discussion of browsers....
As a web designer - I have found over the years that the ONLY browser that reads 100% of HTML code - as written - is Internet Explorer. Opera Chrome Firefox Safari Mozella etc - I have used them all and then some - DO NOT read the code 100% as written. There is always a glitch.

Users are scared into not using IE - But I have used IE since IE1 - and with proper FREE protection - my system has never been violated in any way. Actually I started with Computers in 1977. Before there was a Microsoft Windows of any discernable usage. Don’t know why so may peeps hate MS so much - be that they started as a good or bad company - without MS we would still be using C/Focal/C-tran/basica as writing languages - which were not too easy to learn...

As I see It.

http://loa-computer-help-plus.2634207.n2.nabble.com/

ClaudeMobetta

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

Blogger
It's ok, but you can't change the world. People like the different browsers. Moreover, there are the other OS like MacOS or Linux, where IE is an alien thing.
Yes, the world is complex, and it's hard to be a web designer
But what should I say to the 30% of my visitors? Let's change your mind? Let's go into IE (and to the Windows)?
I believe that no one user should be minded about the troubles of a web designer.

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

Peter <Nabble>
Some eastern Europe countries and Russia do have lots of Opera users but if we take in consideration world market share, it's not representative.
Also, I bet this is not the only site you can't access with Opera so I suppose you must have found a way to circumvent these issues like this:
http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons#webdev

I cannot make any promises but we will be considering it and will let you know what has been decided. In the case we have decided to work out this Opera issue I can already tell you that it won't happen before our current tasks, related to templates. And also, lots of other suggestions have been made and we haven't decided what will go into Nabble or the priority of them.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

Blogger
OK, Peter, thanks for your attention. I agree that the nabble forum is the worldwide product, so there are more important things to implement first of all.

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

Peter <Nabble>
Hi Blogger. We have placed your request on our backlog but since it accounts for a very small percentage of the world population, it has been designed a low priority.
Maybe you should suggest your visitors to use any of those buttons which load other engines like IE or Firefox to certain pages (they still open inside opera, just the rendering engine is different) so they can access your site. Anyway I bet this is not the only site that does not work on Opera. I myself use Chrome and when a page doesn't load correctly I use IETab, which is sort of the same workaround I am suggesting.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

Blogger
Thanks for the workaround, Peter.
It's a good suggestion about a button.
Will think about it.
As for me, I use the Chrome Browser mostly in the websurfing.
And I rarely use Fox, Opera and IE too.

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

Peter <Nabble>
Really, do consider that. If you use Chrome you know some sites do not work well on it. It also happens on FF and I have even seen it happening on IE (although more rare).
So if we use browsers with lower world-wide market share, we know there will be some problems and we will have to circumvent them.
This suggestion is a clean, easy and straightforward way to do that. Just a small button that make your eventual-but-sure-to-happen problems go away. ;-)
I'm not talking about Nabble, I'm talking about web surfing in general.
Good luck.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.
XP1

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

XP1
I am using the LibreOffice forum as an example:

JavaScript source:

Every time the "nabbleresize" iframe loads, it calls "Nabble.getJs()" which, by calling "Nabble.loadScript()", loads a script that calls "Nabble.resizeFrames()".
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/util/SessionService$Attributes.jtp?action=get&key=resizejs&key=scrolljs&key=others&cid=...&_=...
Nabble.resizeFrames(725,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);Nabble.resizeFrames(725,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);Nabble.resizeFrames(725,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);Nabble.resizeFrames(725,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);Nabble.resizeFrames(725,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Nabble.resizeFrames(750,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Nabble.resizeFrames(775,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Nabble.resizeFrames(800,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Nabble.resizeFrames(825,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Nabble.resizeFrames(850,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Nabble.resizeFrames(875,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Nabble.resizeFrames(900,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Nabble.resizeFrames(925,"Document Foundation Mail Archive - Users | Mailing List Archive",true);
Notice that Nabble's server sends height increments of 25 pixels.
Also, notice that "Nabble.resizeFrames()" is being called endlessly. I hypothesize that because "Nabble.loadScript()" updates the DOM, the "onload" for the "nabbleresize" iframe is triggered again, in an endless loop.

Where does the height value come from? How does Nabble's server calculate this height?

Why is the height, returned from Nabble's server, different for Opera than from Chrome or Firefox? Chrome and Firefox receive an approximate height of 1600px. Is this caused on the server-side or on the client-side?
XP1

Re: Opera is very popular in such "small" country as Russia

XP1
Peter <Nabble> wrote
Also, I bet this is not the only site you can't access with Opera so I suppose you must have found a way to circumvent these issues like this:
http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons#webdev
No, this forum works fine in Opera.

The problem occurs when the forum is embedded as an iframe, and Nabble's JavaScript tries to get the height from the server to resize the CSS height style of the iframe. When this happens, the "onload" event of the "nabbleresize" iframe is triggered multiple times in an endless loop.
12