Open adverts in new browser window... please

Open adverts in new browser window... please

mywaytoo
Please open up advert screens in new browser windows so that if users click on the 'x' in the top right hand corner of the window, the user will be returned to my (our) forums/websites, and not closed out altogether.
Anne

Re: Open adverts in new browser window... please

mywaytoo
Users, who click on the adverts on my forums, open up the advert's page as expected, but...
1. when they click on the return arrow in the top, left hand corner of the window, they do not return to the place where they left...
2. when they click on the close 'x' in the top, right hand corner of the window, the advert closes along with my website...

These are a very bad business strategies!
Anne

Re: Open adverts in new browser window... please

mywaytoo
But I don't suppose anyone is bothered...
Anne

Re: Open adverts in new browser window... please

GregChapman
Well, from past postings, you know what I feel about web authors taking control of how links open. (It is a hateful practice!)

I feel very strongly that it is for the visitor to control whether a link replaces the the contents of the existing window or opens in a new window or tab.

While you may think you proposal will ease the situation, it makes things far, far, worse for the visually impaired and others who cannot easily follow what is happening when links open in unexpected ways.

It really is down to users to obtain appropriate software for their needs and learn how to use it.

Re: Open adverts in new browser window... please

mywaytoo
GregChapman wrote
I feel very strongly that it is for the visitor to control whether a link replaces the the contents of the existing window or opens in a new window or tab.
OK... you have your point of view, and I'll have mine...
Perhaps Nabble would give us a choice for how adverts should open up... like they do with our Forums...

Open in a new window

Anne

Re: Open adverts in new browser window... please

Peter <Nabble>
As much as we would like to make this feature available, the ads networks in general (including adbrite and adsense) don't give this option and don't allow changes on their codes.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.