Open Source Nabble / Nabble API / Migrating from Nabble

Open Source Nabble / Nabble API / Migrating from Nabble

eponymous
There are many things which I like about the Nabble forum software. Including that it is free to use, and easy to embed in a website.

I am a web developer and have installed a few Nabble forums (not under this username), and I find it frustrating whenever a user requests a feature for a forum that I cannot provide. So I have the following two requests (and I am sure I'm not alone):

I would like to see Nabble become open source software, or have an open source version available that users can install on their own servers if they desire.

And I would like Nabble to have an API that I can use to better integrate Nabble with websites in which it is embeded, and to extend the functionality of Nabble. This may be a better option for the owners of Nabble who may want to maintain control of it, while allowing users more flexibility.

I must admit that I had previously installed Nabble in haste and had not done the due diligence. That being said, I would like to examine the scenario that I want to migrate from Nabble to another forum software. Is there a way to export data (including messages and users), preferably to a suitable format that allows easy importing into another popular forum (such as phpBB or SMF, etc.), or in a more general format such as XML, CSV, or (at worst) a raw database dump?

Thank you

Re: Open Source Nabble / Nabble API / Migrating from Nabble

Graham Perrin
Hi

<http://n2.nabble.com/-tp2300025p2300025.html> leads to some discussions of source code and installation.

Have you added your wishes to the wish list? Currently pinned at the head of <http://n2.nabble.com/Nabble-Support-f1.html>.

Regards
Graham

Re: Open Source Nabble / Nabble API / Migrating from Nabble

Most of these things will be possible in a few months. We are reorganizing the Nabble code so that users can change the UI the way they want. There will be templates, themes and designs and an API for module creation. Having an installable Nabble is also in our plans.
eponymous wrote
I must admit that I had previously installed Nabble in haste and had not done the due diligence. That being said, I would like to examine the scenario that I want to migrate from Nabble to another forum software. Is there a way to export data (including messages and users), preferably to a suitable format that allows easy importing into another popular forum (such as phpBB or SMF, etc.), or in a more general format such as XML, CSV, or (at worst) a raw database dump?
We can export to XML right now, but this isn't easily imported by other forum software. We may work on this in the future.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Open Source Nabble / Nabble API / Migrating from Nabble

Graham Perrin
Thumbs up. Old-style five stars. New style flag. Etc..

Thanks! Looking forward to it…

Re: Open Source Nabble / Nabble API / Migrating from Nabble

Graham Perrin
Now in the Premium Support area:
Open source Nabble's code