Odd grouping of messages in mailing list archive

Odd grouping of messages in mailing list archive

bakerj
I just noticed that our archive of the oval repository forum (http://n2.nabble.com/OVAL-Repository-Forum-f20094ef20093.html) has 22 replies to a thread titled "Security Benchmark Course" (http://n2.nabble.com/Security-Benchmark-Course-tt22167.html) This thread actually does not have any replies.it seem like every message after this message has been added as a reply. Any ideas how this happend? How can i fix it?

Re: Odd grouping of messages in mailing list archive

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
There are some guessing in trying to thread mailing list messages because some emails don't have global message id (lost or garbled by mail servers), and some replies arrive out of order. With Nabble, we do have a design that allows an admin to change or fix the threading, but it's not exposed in UI yet. Your request is adding a vote to expose this feature. We can probably add this in a week or two.

Re: Odd grouping of messages in mailing list archive

bakerj
Is there any chance of correcting this thread while we wait for the admin capability?

Re: Odd grouping of messages in mailing list archive

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
I checked and found that I was wrong.

You can already do it now.

Just go to the post which you think it's incorrectly threaded, click Options->Move post (and replies) to... This will move the post (if it doesn't have children), or the post and its branch, to under your forum or any other post.

You can try it on a test forum and see how it works, then do it on your live forum.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Re: Odd grouping of messages in mailing list archive

bakerj
This worked. It does seem odd that after moving to nabble 2 this started to happen. It could be that i never noticed it before on the original nabble, but this grouping was pretty bad. It grouped as one thread messages from a few weeks of activity. Is there any way to confirm that this is just a coincidence?

Re: Odd grouping of messages in mailing list archive

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
There is no big changes in the mailing list code in nabble2.

What happened looks like a "thread hijacking" situation. The user should compose a new email, but he chooses to reply to an older email, to avoid entering the mailing list address, causing his email to be threaded under the older emails.