Note to embedded forum owners

haozwang<Nabble>
We currently have a work around with issues concerning embedded forum, i.e. with third party cookies and iframe.

however, with this workaround there will be issues with third party cookies with Safari users accessing your forum. to solve this. we urge you to change the domain name of your nabble app to match the site you are embedding it on

example
your site is: www.examplesite.com
change your nabble ap domain to forum.examplesite.com

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
Peter - I'm not sure I understand.  I think my forum on Nabble is bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com.  But it is embedded on my site at http://www.garysgaragemahal.com.  Are you saying that is a problem?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

haozwang<Nabble>
no, but with the new work around, safari users accessing your site might have a problem.

the root of the problem is third party cookies and iframe with nabble. this is related to your SEO issue and the login issues some of your users have

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
Ok, but two questions.  First, what are the problems Safari users might have, and how often will they have them?

Second, what change(s) do I need to make?  I don't understand what you are asking me to do.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Franklin <Nabble>
If you look at the URLs in your embedded forum, you will see "cid=" in them.  This was implemented (not by me) to replace cookies since cookies won't work when third-party cookies are disabled.  But this is a hack that I want to get rid of.  I believe this is the cause of both SEO issues and logout issues.  Third-party cookies are enabled by default on most browsers, so most users wouldn't be affected by removing this hack.  But Safari has a moronic policy of rejecting third-party cookies by default if no cookies have yet been set for the domain.  This would prevent new Safari users from logging in to your forum.  But if you change the domain of your nabble forum to forum.garysgaragemahal.com then the cookies are no longer third-party, so this solves the issue.

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

haozwang<Nabble>
Safari users always have issues with third party cookies + iframe issues. with this work around, they cannot login because of the browser restriction and the work around

to resolve it, you can change your forum to a custom domain name:
forum.garysgaragemahal.com
this tricks safari to thinking that the cookies are from the current site not third party.

Merry Christmas

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
Ok, this is sounding good, guys.  But, I'm not sure I understand how to "change the domain of your nabble forum to forum.garysgaragemahal.com".  As you have surely surmised, I'm on thin ice when getting into the technical part of websites, URL's, etc.

Can you help me understand how to do what you are suggesting?  Please?

go to Options->Application->Change Domain name
follow the directions on screen

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
Ok, I see the steps, as shown below.  But do I need to have a 3-part URL like forum.garysgaragemahal.com?  Or, could it just be garysgaragemahal.com?  Right now garysgaragemahal.com takes you to the forum as the forum is on the home page, so I'm happy to do that and I don't think I have to do any other registration.

haozwang<Nabble>
your homepage and the forum page are two separate things so you have to differentiate them. the custom domain name points to the forum on nabble server, the main site points to weebly. so yes, you do need the 3 part URL(at least I would do it that way)

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
Peter - There's nothing on my home page except the forum.  Here's what the Weebly editor page looks like, and the code from Nabble is embedded in the line that says "Bullnose Enthusiasts".

And here's what you see when you go to http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/.  So, is there a need to have another URL?

the weebly page and the nabble forum are two distinct things. the custom domain is for the forum.
can you set the CNAME-record in your domain registrar?

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
See, I told you that I don't know.

My domain, garysgaragemahal.com, is registered on GoDaddy.  And I can add a CNAME record there.  Are you saying I need to add forum.garysgaragemahal.com as a CNAME?  If so, here are the fields I need to fill in:

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

haozwang<Nabble>
"garysgaragemahal.com" is your domain name. your already have "www". you subdomain name would be "forum" or anything else you like. have it point to the nabble server your forum is on. in this case, it is  "n8.nabble.com"
That complete step 1
 done that, fill in the custom domain. i.e. step 2, etc.

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
Peter - I hate to be so dense, but I'm really lost.  First, you said my "subdomain name" would be "forum",  but the way you used it was "forum.garysgaragemahal.com".  I would have thought a subdomain would have been "sub" to garysgaragemahal, so would be something like garysgaragemahal.forum.com.  So I'm confused there.

Then you asked me if I can "set the CNAME-record in your domain registrar"?  And I showed you what I can do in GoDaddy and what blanks I need to fill out.  But your response didn't say anything about those other blanks.  Instead, you talked about Step 1 and Step 2 in Nabble.

Again, I'm sorry to be as thick as two planks, but I really don't understand what I need to do.  I truly want to do it, whatever "it" is, but I'm really lost as to what to do.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

haozwang<Nabble>
Cname in the domain registrar is part of the step 1 in nabble.
You can see that you have “www” for your domain name “garysgaragemahal.com”

The cname will be the new custom domain you give your forum, which it will point to the nabble server. This is what you have to fill out on godaddy.com.  So in your case I would say “forum” to the cname point to n8.nabble.com

Then you do step 2 on nabble. “forum.garysgaragemahal.com”

Read my previous post again. The direction on godaddy is pretty clear.

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

haozwang<Nabble>
I am using the godaddy jargon on you screen shot there

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
Ok, I think I understand and have set "forum" up in GoDaddy pointing to N8.  And then I set forum.garysgaragemahal.com up on Nabble.  And it seems to work to allow people in.

Now do I need to edit the code from Nabble that puts the forum on my website?  Franklin said something about "CID".

And, thank you for being so patient with me.

haozwang<Nabble>
The embedded code obviously changed. It should be updated in the embedded options

Re: Note to embedded forum owners

Gary Lewis
Peter - I've already embarrassed myself in how little I know about URL's, etc.  Now I'm willing to admit I don't even know how to get the new Nabble code to embed.  Help, again, please.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/
12