New user questions

Christina
Hi I am just starting with Nabble and am impressed how easy it it but have a few newbie questions.

1. Is there a way on the blog to hide the "new post" icon if the user does not have posting rights?

2. I saw some converstations about parent apps... I'm trying out both the forum and blog for my site - would the use of a parent app mean my users have one login for both?

3. are there any options to alter the heading format - I am embedding the apps in a template page
 and it would be neat to be able to hide the title as it is already displayed on the page
screen snippet

4. Can I hide the "people" section of the blog?

5. I'd also like to be able to hide the "show how NAML generates this page

That's it for now, many thanks

Many thanks for your assistance

Christina

Re: New user questions

GregChapman
Hi Christina,

I'm sure one of the team will be along soon to give a definitive answer to these questions, but here's my stab at them.

Christina wrote
1. Is there a way on the blog to hide the "new post" icon if the user does not have posting rights?
This can be done by editing the NAML that generates the page. Visit the link at the bottom of the page and then drill down through these macros and you'll find the entry the macro that you need to delete:
2. I saw some converstations about parent apps... I'm trying out both the forum and blog for my site - would the use of a parent app mean my users have one login for both?
No! the whole point of using a parent app is that it gives you access to all sub-apps with the same logon. So if you expect to have a number of areas within your forum for different topics, these would all be handled by different sub-forums. Each sub-forum can be assigned a different application type, so you could make one your blog.
3. are there any options to alter the heading format - I am embedding the apps in a template page
 and it would be neat to be able to hide the title as it is already displayed on the page
At the top level of your applications go to: OPTIONS > APPLICATION > CHANGE APPEARANCE. This opens the black formatting bar at the top of the screen. Under the PREFERENCES button there is a check box: SHOW APP TITLE. Clear the box. Note that changes made here are inherited by all sub-applications. There's many more customisations that can be made from the formatting bar.
4. Can I hide the "people" section of the blog?
That can be done via user permissions. The default is to show PEOPLE to registered users. Remove that permission for that user group. See: OPTIONS > USERS > CHANGE PERMISSIONS. Note that sub-forums inherit any permissions set, unless you over-ride them at the sub-forum level.
5. I'd also like to be able to hide the "show how NAML generates this page
That can be done in a similar way to hiding the "New Post" link. As a Premium Support customer, I'm sure the team will be able to make the changes for you if you are reluctant to dig in the code yourself.

Re: New user questions

Pedro
GregChapman wrote
Hi Christina,

I'm sure one of the team will be along soon to give a definitive answer to these questions, but here's my stab at them.

Christina wrote
1. Is there a way on the blog to hide the "new post" icon if the user does not have posting rights?
This can be done by editing the NAML that generates the page. Visit the link at the bottom of the page and then drill down through these macros and you'll find the entry the macro that you need to delete:
We suggest moving the "New Post" link into the dropdown menu and make it available only to users who have permission to post. This is possible to do with our NAML code. We can do that for you, but we need a link to your app(s).

GregChapman wrote
2. I saw some converstations about parent apps... I'm trying out both the forum and blog for my site - would the use of a parent app mean my users have one login for both?
No! the whole point of using a parent app is that it gives you access to all sub-apps with the same logon. So if you expect to have a number of areas within your forum for different topics, these would all be handled by different sub-forums. Each sub-forum can be assigned a different application type, so you could make one your blog.
If your apps have the same parent, then the single logon should work fine. Do you plan to have both apps in different pages of your site? Is a common parent an issue for you?

GregChapman wrote
3. are there any options to alter the heading format - I am embedding the apps in a template page
 and it would be neat to be able to hide the title as it is already displayed on the page
At the top level of your applications go to: OPTIONS > APPLICATION > CHANGE APPEARANCE. This opens the black formatting bar at the top of the screen. Under the PREFERENCES button there is a check box: SHOW APP TITLE. Clear the box. Note that changes made here are inherited by all sub-applications. There's many more customisations that can be made from the formatting bar.
Greg is right, the change appearance toolbar should solve your problem. Please try that and let us know if you still have issues.

GregChapman wrote
4. Can I hide the "people" section of the blog?
That can be done via user permissions. The default is to show PEOPLE to registered users. Remove that permission for that user group. See: OPTIONS > USERS > CHANGE PERMISSIONS. Note that sub-forums inherit any permissions set, unless you over-ride them at the sub-forum level.
At OPTIONS > USERS > CHANGE PERMISSIONS , you can uncheck the "Show_group_members" boxes.

GregChapman wrote
5. I'd also like to be able to hide the "show how NAML generates this page
That can be done in a similar way to hiding the "New Post" link. As a Premium Support customer, I'm sure the team will be able to make the changes for you if you are reluctant to dig in the code yourself.
Can we make that link smaller (e.g., "NAML") and still keep it there? The idea is to let people know about our technology. A small link shouldn't hurt your pages. Please let me know what you think.

Re: New user questions

Christina
Many thanks for your comprehensive responses, am still working through them but all good so far. yes, happy to shorten to bottom page link to NAML

Nabble is really useful and I may use for a second site very soon!

christina

Re: New user questions

Christina
I have tried the edit regarding the blog new post as suggested (item 1 above) and had partial success, however I would appreciate your assistance in doing this. I have reversed my overrides.

The page is in a temporary location at  http://gsdoffice.co.uk/sysdea/blog.html - let me know if any other information is required

Christina

On 20 December 2011 12:01, Christina [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Many thanks for your comprehensive responses, am still working through them but all good so far. yes, happy to shorten to bottom page link to NAML

Nabble is really useful and I may use for a second site very soon!

christina

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/New-user-questions-tp7106200p7111551.html
To unsubscribe from New user questions, click here.
NAML

Re: New user questions

Christina
Another question - I am looking at the way redirects will work.  I  have set this up with a parent (mixed) forum and two sub forums, forum and blog which will be on different pages on the target website.  My understanding is that the content is hosted by Nabble and is open to search so is a user finds, e.g. an item through search which is in our blog, without changing any settings it will appear to me in (something like)  oursite.nabble.com/blog12345.

It would be fantastic if it would appear to be on "oursite.com/blog.html"... is that possible and if so can it be set so that permalinks look consistent with this? And same for forum... "oursite.com/forum.html"

I can see that if I go into the "change Domain name", only available at the parent level, I can see how to set the CNAME which would point at the parent.  How can I best set this up so that my blog and forum retain their separate pages or am I being over demanding and better served by keeping them as separate apps instead of under one parent.

I hope I am making sense here!

Christina

Re: New user questions

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Christina,

(1) I fixed the "New Post" link in your blog. Now it is displayed inside the Options dropdown (only visible to users who have permissions to post)

(2) I changed the link in the footer to "NAML"

(3) I also fixed the redirects. This option is available in Options > Embedding options. So now if you try to open permalinks, they will redirect to your website:
http://sysdea.2314101.n4.nabble.com/A-powerful-approach-to-strategy-and-business-management-tp4214893p4214893.html

Note that the links above are still in the Nabble domain. You can change that and use a custom domain name, but you can only set a domain name for the entire app, so both forum and blog would have to be in the same domain. If this is a problem, then you would have to split the apps and keep them independent of each other, which means independent registration and logon.

Please let us know if you still have questions, comments or concerns.

Re: New user questions

Christina
Many thanks for your help
Christina

On 20 December 2011 22:34, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Christina,

(1) I fixed the "New Post" link in your blog. Now it is displayed inside the Options dropdown (only visible to users who have permissions to post)

(2) I changed the link in the footer to "NAML"

(3) I also fixed the redirects. This option is available in Options > Embedding options. So now if you try to open permalinks, they will redirect to your website:
http://sysdea.2314101.n4.nabble.com/A-powerful-approach-to-strategy-and-business-management-tp4214893p4214893.html

Note that the links above are still in the Nabble domain. You can change that and use a custom domain name, but you can only set a domain name for the entire app, so both forum and blog would have to be in the same domain. If this is a problem, then you would have to split the apps and keep the independent of each other, which means independent registration and logon.

Please let us know if you still have questions, comments or concerns.
Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/New-user-questions-tp7106200p7113531.html