New sub-forum logistics

Nalicter
I see that the wiki-like feature of everyone being able to create sub-forums is back, in a fashion.

I'm curious as to the reason—not that I'm entirely against it, though.

It does seem to me that if someone makes a sub-forum of one of yours, you should automatically be a co-owner of it. I would like to suggest that, as it seems that such forums would likely be indefinitely neglected by their original owners 90% of the time, and the top-level owner may wish to rename them rather than remove them.

I'm worried that a lot of redundant forums with similar names might show up, but I guess that's not a huge issue, if the parent is indeed meant to be the focus, instead of the melting pot of several foci I had once envisioned (something not meant to be posted in, but rather something from which to observe it all).

Anyway, I have a question. Is one now able to make it so sub-forums cannot be created, but posts can be made (in a top-level forum)? What about child forums?

Re: New sub-forum logistics

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Creating a sub-forum is not much different from posting a new topic. In the topics view, a new topic is actually more noticable than a new sub-forum, because the former shows up immediately, vs the latter requires an extra click to see.

So, to me, I don't worry about users doing bad things with new sub-forums, because, they can do more damage simply with new topics.

Regarding users creating duplicate sub-forums, you are the owner, so you can always moderate everything below your forum node. If you see a sub-forum that you don't like, you can simply remove it from your forum.

We want to give user this freedom, just so that some good users may help you grow your forum in directions that you like. I hope this make sense.

Re: New sub-forum logistics

Hi Cordilow,

Creating a sub-forum is pretty much the same as posting a reply to a message that belongs to another user. If a user creates a bad sub-forum or replies with a bad message, the forum owner can simply ban him/her. So both actions are controlled together by the read-only property of the forum (Options > Control user privileges).
Cordilow wrote
Anyway, I have a question. Is one now able to make it so sub-forums cannot be created, but posts can be made (in a top-level forum)? What about child forums?
If you change the format of your top-level forum to bulletin board or bulletin category, users can only post messages in the sub-forums. In this case, the "Control user privileges" screen allows you to control the creation of sub-forums (as I said, messages are always forbidden in this format. Users should post in sub-forums only). If you think that the creation of sub-forums should be controlled independently of messages, please let us know. We might change this if more users agree.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: New sub-forum logistics

Nalicter
I'm mostly curious as to why you wouldn't want the parent owner to be a co-owner of whatever forums are produced under it. It seems logical enough (for those 'created' under it, and not for children moved under it). I don't see a reason why this shouldn't be the case, is what I mean. I guess it's not a huge issue, but it does stick out to me.

Re: New sub-forum logistics

Hugo <Nabble>
We have implemented the basic idea, which requires the owner of the sub-forum to add co-owners manually. If someone creates a successful sub-forum under your forum, this person is most likely to add you as a co-owner. We don't want to automate this right now because it may cause problems, but we will think more about it.

Re: New sub-forum logistics

Gen Admin
I don't really like this idea, as it could lead to abuse, that in turn could lead to the true owners of the forum, being blamed. I for one, would like to see this idea vetoed by all.