New GL board

KS (Fester)
Hello- we are using your Nabble to set up a new board for the Guiding Light, because the new CBS board that they are giving us is awful!  I have several questions.
1.  Is there a way for each poster to have their own post count?
2.  On one thread, the page will not go past 11 pages.  It shows 12, but you cannot access page 12
3.  Is there a way to set the forum up for one poster to directly post to another poster
4.  Is there a way to mark "unread messages to me" for any poster to use
Photobucket Photobucket

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
KS, thanks for using Nabble. We are glad to have you. Please see my response below:

KS (Fester) wrote
1.  Is there a way for each poster to have their own post count?
Yes. I have heard several users asking for this. So, we will add this. Please give us a few days to figure out how to do this efficiently. Nabble is a lot bigger than a typical stand-alone board, so if we add a feature, if will be for all users and we have to be careful about the performance issues (i.e. making it fast).

KS (Fester) wrote
2.  On one thread, the page will not go past 11 pages.  It shows 12, but you cannot access page 12
This sounds like a bug. Can you point us to the page?

KS (Fester) wrote
3.  Is there a way to set the forum up for one poster to directly post to another poster
Please help me understand what you want here. You mean to allow a poster send a private message to another poster? We already have it. Go to a post, under Options there is a "Reply to author". Maybe you want something else.

KS (Fester) wrote
4.  Is there a way to mark "unread messages to me" for any poster to use
We use the "natural" mechanism which is the clicked vs unclicked links. The visited links have a different color than unvisited. So, it give you an idea what has been visited or not. I know this isn't 100% because you may be going to the forum from a different computer. The only 100% way is to brute-force track every thing you visited in our database. It consumes a lot of computing power, and personally, I think it's bad for privacy. So, unless a lot of people absolutely want this feature, we prefer not to do it.

Re: New GL board

KS (Fester)
That you so much for your reply!!!
Are you able to monitor the Guiding Light Thread.  If you are, you can see how much activity is on it and this is only 1/16th of what will be on it.
1.  Okay you answered the question about the post count!  Great!  The post count is very important to these ladies- it's kinda like a senority thing.
2.  On the Stupid Thread for example- it has been locked up on Page 19 since this morning.  On the home page you can see the poster name changing, but you cannot read their posts.
3.  You answered the question about the private message!  Thanks.
4.  Okay on the visited and unvisited.  I get that!

Thanks, again for your help.  If you can get the Stupid thread unstuck that would be great.  You will see that they girls post alot of pictures.  Does that affect your program?
Photobucket Photobucket

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
KS (Fester) wrote
That you so much for your reply!!!
Are you able to monitor the Guiding Light Thread.  If you are, you can see how much activity is on it and this is only 1/16th of what will be on it.
wow. You have a huge group. Congrats!

KS (Fester) wrote
1.  Okay you answered the question about the post count!  Great!  The post count is very important to these ladies- it's kinda like a senority thing.
Got it. It will be there.

KS (Fester) wrote
2.  On the Stupid Thread for example- it has been locked up on Page 19 since this morning.  On the home page you can see the poster name changing, but you cannot read their posts.
Yes. Confirmed. It's a bug. We will fix it in a day or two.

But the bug is only for the "classical" view. If you change it to the "list" view, or the "threaded" view, you can still see all the posts. Go to http://n2.nabble.com/Stupid-td529418.html - note that under the thread title there are 3 view options, choose "List" or "Threaded", you will see them. I think you may find "Threaded" interesting because it tells you who is talking to whom.

KS (Fester) wrote
Thanks, again for your help.  If you can get the Stupid thread unstuck that would be great.  You will see that they girls post alot of pictures.  Does that affect your program?
It will fixed in a day or two. As for lots of pictures, no problem at all. Happy posting!

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
KS (Fester) wrote
3.  You answered the question about the private message!  Thanks.
A little correction. The "Reply to Author" is under "More" dropdown in a post. I said "option" in my answer, and that is incorrect.

Re: New GL board

KS (Fester)
Thank you for fixing the Stupid thread.  Regarding "unread messages to me".  The old CBS board has a drop down that says:   All Messages, unread messages, unread messages to me, Last 24 hours, Last 3 days, etc.
On the direct reply to author- thanks for the new instructions.  I did it this morning and it went to email.  Is that what it is suppose to do?
Photobucket Photobucket

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
KS (Fester) wrote
On the direct reply to author- thanks for the new instructions.  I did it this morning and it went to email.  Is that what it is suppose to do?
Yes.

Re: New GL board

KS (Fester)
KS (Fester) wrote
Thank you for fixing the Stupid thread.  Regarding "unread messages to me".  The old CBS board has a drop down that says:   All Messages, unread messages, unread messages to me, Last 24 hours, Last 3 days, etc.
On the direct reply to author- thanks for the new instructions.  I did it this morning and it went to email.  Is that what it is suppose to do?
  So Nabble are you able to do the drop down version like I mentioned above?
Photobucket Photobucket

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Can you point me to the URL of the message board you mentioned?

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
KS,

I haven't heard back from you, so I did some googling to find how this feature is done in CBS board. I found this feature in the AWT board http://boards.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?listMode=-1&nav=messages&webtag=cbsawtmb

So I tried it, but the feature doesn't work. Here is my simple test. I clicked a few top threads, then changed the "show discussions" dropdown to "All", then changed it back to "Unread Msgs", I would expect the "read" topics will be filtered out, but nothing happened. Can you try and let me know if I did anything wrong?

The worst part is that the link color doesn't change after I click it. So, I don't even know which link I have already clicked. How do you track which topics you have already visited? In Nabble, you can see which ones have been clicked because the link color changes.

As for "Today", and "2 days back" dropdown, I really don't quite understand. The threads are sorted by the last post, so when you browse the board, you are naturally looking at the Today's post, flip to the next page, you naturally get into posts from 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 days ago. It just seems really unnecessary to have the "today" and "2 days back" options.

So, with regard to the unread, is the change of link color good enough for your need?

Also, I saw some discussion in your board about the font-size. There several ways to make the font bigger.

1. The easiest is to just hold ctrl and type +, this will increase the font size in your browser. Ctrl and - will make it smaller.

2. Go to Your Account->Personal Settings->Advanced Settings, there you will see the "Font size" box, that's the default. You can set it a bigger number. This way, all Nabble forums will appear with a larger font to you. The default is 13.4667px, you can increase it gradually, save, until you are happy.

3. As the forum owner, you can use CSS style sheet to control what font size your forum should be. The options is under your forum->Options->Change forum appearance. It's a bit of an advanced feature because you need to know html and some CSS stuff. If you don't know those, just let me know and I can help you with it. We will make this easier to use soon.

Re: New GL board

KS (Fester)
Will <Nabble> wrote
Can you point me to the URL of the message board you mentioned?
http://boards.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?listMode=-1&nav=messages&webtag=cbsglmb
 Click on Home.  Make sure that you click on the picture of the two guys, then it will bring up a larger picture of them with a Check it Out button.  That will take you to the message board that they are shutting down.  If you just go into the forum, that is the new board that we hate.  You will see a drop down arrow by discussions that says, All, Unread, Unread to me, etc.
Also regarding the post counts, is there anyway for us to enter the counts from the CBS board?  We can put them in.   Thanks!
Photobucket Photobucket

As far as #3- I forgot to answer you on my previous post about the font size.  I know how to get into that screen but don't know how to permantly change the font to make it bigger.  I'm afraid I will mess something up.  If you can set the whole board up for the font to be bigger, please do.   Thanks!
Photobucket Photobucket

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Done.

In Options->Change forum appearance, in the Custom CSS code textbox, I appended the following code to the end of your existing code. The default base font-size is 0.8em, I upped it 1.0em. You can adjust further to what you like.

body, input, button, textarea, select {
    font-family: Tahoma;
    font-size: 1.0em;
}

We will make it easier later on, so that users who don't know CSS/Html can click a button to make such changes. For now, if you have any questions, just let us know and we'll help.

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
KS (Fester) wrote
http://boards.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?listMode=-1&nav=messages&webtag=cbsglmb
 Click on Home.  Make sure that you click on the picture of the two guys, then it will bring up a larger picture of them with a Check it Out button.  That will take you to the message board that they are shutting down.
I followed your link, but didn't see the picture of the two guys ...

KS (Fester) wrote
If you just go into the forum, that is the new board that we hate.  You will see a drop down arrow by discussions that says, All, Unread, Unread to me, etc.
So, this "All, Unread, Unread to me" feature is from the board that you hate? I did check out the feature on the board, and it just doesn't work.

I registered an account. I just clicked the top few threads, (they are "read"), then I use the dropdown to select "All", then use the dropdown to select "Unread", the threads that I just read are still there.

The worst part is that the links don't change color after I click them. So, as I click on the discussions, I don't know what I clicked a moment ago. I would hate such a board myself.

KS (Fester) wrote
Also regarding the post counts, is there anyway for us to enter the counts from the CBS board?  We can put them in.   Thanks!
Sorry, but that's not very reasonable. If we allow users to to change their post count, then that number will not mean much.

Re: New GL board

KS (Fester)
So, this "All, Unread, Unread to me" feature is from the board that you hate? I did check out the feature on the board, and it just doesn't work.
No it is on the Old CBS board that we like.  You would have to register to have that option.  When you go the the CBS Guiding Light, it will attempt to take you to the NEW forum.  You will see that you are on that tab.  If you click on HOME, it should take you to a page that has a Big Picture and 4 smaller pictures on the right.  Click on the pic of the 2 men, it will make that picture bigger and it will have a button that say's "Check it out".  That get's you into the old board that we like.
KS (Fester) wrote:
Also regarding the post counts, is there anyway for us to enter the counts from the CBS board?  We can put them in.   Thanks!
Sorry, but that's not very reasonable. If we allow users to to change their post count, then that number will not mean much.
Okay- I can understand that!
As usual, thank you for all your help.  Didn't expect an answer from you on a Sunday!  Do you ever get a day off?  LOL
Photobucket Photobucket

Re: New GL board

KS (Fester)
Will- haven't heard back from you.  I guess the biggest issue that we are having in the forum.  Is that you can't see unread messages easily.  If there is a way, when you log in and go to a particular thread, that it defaults to the first message YOU HAVEN"T READ, you wouldn't have to read all to see where you left off.
Photobucket Photobucket

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Looks like you have "huge" threads. Here are a few quick tips:

1. Instead of going to the first post, you can always enter the thread by going to the last post, i.e.

2. When you are in the thread, to switch to the "List" view, which shows the posts in a chronological order

3. When it's in List view, you can scroll to the bottom. The unread posts are bold, the read ones are regular.

Does this help?

Okay- I posted your reply to the girls.  So we'll see what they think.
Photobucket Photobucket

Re: New GL board

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
KS,

Thanks for giving/helping us with feedback. I saw the comment your friend made about getting 4000 posts in a thread. Wow, I am thrilled, for the challenge!

So, for now, with very large thread, please stick with "List" view or "Classical" view, those will work.

The challenge is how to get "Threaded" view work with 400 or 4000 posts. Your 400-post thread is already looking horrible with threaded view. So we'll have work something out for that.

Internally, to give you a heads up, we are playing with an idea of what we call a "Skeleton tree", so we can present a large thread as:

post1
     post500
       post501
       post502
     post487

It will be a few weeks before we get this right. So, please bear with us for now.

[...]

Stupid will always be the biggest thread. At our other board that they are getting ready to pull the plug on, Stupid is at 1073 pages, 10692 posts and 221203 views.  I noticed this morning that at 20 something pages, it is running slow, so I am dividing it into Part 1, Part 2, etc.
Photobucket Photobucket
123