New Change Appearance Feature

GregChapman
I wondered why my forum and blog suddenly appear much bigger. Initially I thought I had hit CTRL-+ unintentionally.

However, when I established that wasn't the case I went to play with my font size and discovered the new "Appearance Edit Bar".

I don't know if the large size is an intended effect as it doesn't seem to effect every forum and I had altered both affected forums under the old screen as I found the default font size too small.

Incidentally, currently, it is possible to get to get multiple edit bars by going to OPTIONS > APPLICATION > CHANGE APPEARANCE repeatedly (as I did the first time, as the screen I was expecting didn't appear!)

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

Peter <Nabble>
Were you able to change it back to a smaller font? Is it solved?

Thank you for the warning on the appearance bar. We will take a look.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

GregChapman
I fixed it by setting the font to 100%

Interestingly, the new regime seems much more logical to me, as the affected forums previously needed larger percentage figures to get them to the right size to match the sites in which they were embedded.

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

GregChapman
Meant to add that I am now finding (using Firefox, not tested in other browsers) the OPTIONS menu takes a long time to appear, staying semi-visible for at least a second before fully appearing.

Could it be caused by any extension? I have the latest Firefox installed with no extensions and it works flawlessly.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

GregChapman
I'm running FF6.0 and I do have a number of Extensions installed. However, the problem only emerged since the new "Appearance Edit Bar" was installed and worked fine before this with the same extensions installed.

I was a little inaccurate in the effect I see. It's better described like this.

Click on OPTIONS (The menu appears very faintly  - at times almost invisible - and transparent)
Move the pointer down the menu (The menu becomes solid and appears normal)
Stop at any of the options with cascading menu options (Nothing happens)
Move the pointer horizontally (The menu appears...  slowly! If you only move a short distance it appears faint and transparent, solidifying as the pointer moves further)
Move the pointer vertically to an option with a secondary menu. (The original cascading menu remains in place)
Move horizontally (Only now does the appropriate cascading menu appear. As before, with slight movement it remains transparent, only becoming solid with further horizontal movement.)
Click off the menu to close it (Initially, the menu goes transparent, only disappearing on movement of the pointer.)

In IE (which I normally only use for testing) the menu works as I am used to, but I'd still say that reaction to the menu appears slower than I remember it before the recent extra options appeared on the Options menu (and Appearance Edit Bar was rolled out).

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

Peter <Nabble>
It's really weird, it is working exactly the same for me on both firefox and chrome and it works right.

Maybe you should try clearing your cache and cookies so we are sure that no outdated code is interfering with it.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

GregChapman
Something wrong at my end, it seems.

Deleted domain cookies and Firefox locked up completely. Had to use the Task Manager to kill the application. On relaunch it went into update mode (I had been on 6.0) but on finishing it claimed that 6.0.1 was out of date. (and the Flash player). Flash Player insisted on downloading and installing Google Chrome as well - never seen that before and no option to refuse it. (Grrr!).

After another update, I have 6.0.2 installed and things are back to normal with Nabble's Option Menu

(Only problem now is that I'm being bombarded with repeated requests from my firewall to let Google Chrome Updater talk to the Internet - bloody ridiculous that it wants to check every five minutes for an update. How often does Google release them? - a program I never asked for and who's installer also placed an unwanted icon on my desktop. Don't you just hate programs that do that! I had been thinking about trying Chrome, but this behaviour is putting me off!)

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

Peter <Nabble>
I think Chrome is a superior browser but that's my personal opinion. :-)
I don't know how often it checks for updates because I've given it permissions in my firewall when it first ran.
Maybe you could try uninstalling it (just Chrome).
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

GregChapman
I know its reputation has increased significantly since the hype surrounding its v1.0 release.

I got very close to moving to it, when Firefox merged the title and menu bar. Then I realised that Chrome was also abusing the title bar and then IE got in on the act. Now all the browsers are hiding all the menu options is strange and different places. I thought the whole point of Windows was a common interface. We'll soon be moving back to the bad old days of a sort of "graphical DOS" and we'll be getting Apple suing everyone for breach of "look and feel", the way Lotus did with "123". Grrr!

Oh God! I'm showing my age! :-)

Time to get back on topic...    At least the Nabble menu is working as intended!

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

Peter <Nabble>
Yeah I know what I mean (not too young either).

Should we delete these last 2 posts?  (joking)
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: New Change Appearance Feature

Peter <Nabble>
Appearance bar does not stack anymore. Thank you for letting us know.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.