Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

Ernest P. Duckweather
I am having three problems with my Nabble email list subscriptions.

1.  I want to change my email address for my subscriptions but keep getting stuck in an endless loop of error messages.

2.  I'm subscribed with an old email address to the FreeDOS - Dev list, but want to cancel that one and instead subscribe to the FreeDOS - User list using my current email address.  When I try to subscribe to FreeDOS-User I get the error message "Email already in use."

But when I try to log in using my current email address I get another error message:  "There is an unregistered user account associated with the email address xxxx@xxxx.com. If this email address is yours, you should register using this same address. After registration, you will own this user account. "

But, of course, when I try to "register" I get that first error message again.

3.  I was unable to subscribe to this help forum with my existing Nabble account so I had to create a new account just for posting to this forum

Is there anyone here who can help me sort out this can of worms?  I imagine we should take the problems one at a time, so my first question is:  Where to start?

I think the confusion may be that I have the same username linked to two different email addresses.  I'm wondering if I should try to delete all my accounts and then start over from scratch.  If I were to do that, would I be able to reclaim my former username, or would I have to create a new one?

Re: Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

GregChapman
Hi Ernest,

Let's answer your three points in turn:

===================================

I'm not clear from your description if you are taking the correct route through the process for changing an email address for your login at the  FreeDOS - Dev forum. This should be:

1. Go to the FreeDOS - Dev list and login with your existing (i.e. old) email address.

2. Once logged in, click on your username at the top right corner of the screen
(a menu opens)

3. Select "Account settings" from the menu
(The User Profile Screen appears)

4. On the User Profile Screen click on the link "Edit Personal Information"
(The Edit Profile screen appears)

5. On the Edit Profile screen click the link "Change Email"
(The Change Email screen appears)

6. Enter a new email address in the appropriate field and click the "Change Email" button.

At Step 6 the Screen changes to tell you an email has been sent to the new address and you must click a link in that email to confirm the change. These normally arrive near instantly. Sometimes these Nabble emails get trapped by Mail provider's spam filters, so if it doesn't arrive within minutes then the Spam folder is the first place to check.

Let me know how far through this process you went.

===================================

If you have tried to communicate with the list managers or login to the FreeDos - Dev forum and used a different  (i.e. your new) email address, you'll find that the new address gets stored as a cookie in your browser.

I strongly suspect the the FreeDOS - Dev forum is detecting that cookie and responding accordingly - assuming that you are a completely new user that has entered an unregistered address.

I am not familiar with that particular forum but it may be set up so that unregistered users may post. In such cases the cookie is stored so that the site can auto-complete the email field to protect against a different email address being entered so your following posts get treated as being by a different author to an earlier post.

Does any of this tie in with your experience? If not, give more details about what you did.

===================================

No one has "an account" at Nabble.

Each forum hosted by Nabble is a completely separate entity and you register with each entirely separately. It is, therefore, perfectly possible to use the same email address and the same password on a dozen different forums, in the same way that you probably use the same email address and password at half a dozen different on-line shops.

A username at a Nabble forum is only used for display purposes on posts. It is linked to the email address registered at an individual forum and can be changed independently of the current email address recorded on that forum. Both email address and username will be checked before being accepted to prevent duplicates on that forum. (It doesn't matter if they are used on other Nabble forums.)

It is therefore entirely normal for someone to be registered on half a dozen different forums and use the same email address and username on each. Equally, they can use a different email address or different username on each.

There should be no reason to delete your accounts and start again. Providing you have the right concepts in your head and follow the right route, all is simple.

Re: Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

Ernest P. Duckweather
Thanks for that speedy and thorough reply!  I really appreciate your willingness to help me sort this out.

I'm in poor health and am limited in the amount of time I'm able to sit up at my computer, and have to take long rest breaks every few minutes,  so if it's ok with you, I'll respond to the three points of  post in separate messages:

GregChapman wrote
[...]

Yes, those are exactly the steps I followed when I tried to change my email address.   I just repeated them now, following your step-by-step instructions, but still got the same result as before:  this error message:

Nabble, Email Already in Use, Error Message

I need to take a nap now.  After my nap I'll re-read and study the rest of your post to see if I can get a handle on the concepts you laid out for me.  I have to confess that most of what you wrote went right over my head, so it might take me some time to get a grasp of it.

Re: Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

GregChapman
Hi,

If that is what you're getting now, then I realise that, rather than what I assumed was happening in my earlier Step #2 answer, it could be that you have already made a completely new registration with your new address. If that's the case you do have a problem as you have two registrations on that  one forum and you won't be able to change either account to use the other address.

Then the only solution MIGHT be to delete your new account.

I have never tried to do that and I don't know how soon a deleted account takes to get fully purged from the system. Almost certainly, although made inactive by the deletion it won't be fully purged from the system until at least overnight house-keeping of the user database is done by Nabble - and it may take longer than that. Only then might you be able to attempt to change the address on the original account.

Re: Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

Ernest P. Duckweather
Hi again, GregChapman,

I came across something interesting on the Nabble FreeDOS-User web page:

When I clicked the "more options" link, it took me to a FreeDOS - User – Mailing List Options web page, where I found a link to the the freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net website, where I was able to determine that I do in fact have a subscription to the FreeDOS-User mailing list, using my new email address, and that my subscription is supposedly set to enable me to receive emails of all the posts to the list.  But for some reason, I'm not receiving the emails.

I'm trying to get a handle on the relationship between Nabble and Sourceforge.  I thought that the FreeDOS list was manage by Nabble.  But if that's the case, then where does Sourceforge fit into the picture?

Are my email subscription settings managed by Nabble or Sourceforge?  (Or even a third party called "Mailman"?  I saw a "Mailman" logo on the Sourceforge page).

As I'm sure you can deduce from this message, I'm completely confused bout whom to contact to try to get my email delivery from the FreeDOS-User list started again.  I'd be grateful if you could give me some advice on what my next step should be.

Re: Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

Ernest P. Duckweather
I think I just found the information I'm looking for by rereading your first reply.  When I first read it, I didn't get it.  It seemed too confusing to me.  Now it makes sense to me.

In the meantime, I've found the well hidden and disguised email address of a forum moderator for the FreeDOS-User forum, so I'll see if he can help me figure out why I'm not receiving emails from his forum.

Thanks for being so patient with me.

Ernie

GregChapman wrote
[...]

Ernest P. Duckweather wrote
In the meantime, I've found the well hidden and disguised email address of a forum moderator for the FreeDOS-User forum, so I'll see if he can help me figure out why I'm not receiving emails from his forum.
A mail list, by definition, is conducted via email and normally you would subscribe direct to the mail list and not the archive.

Most people only visit the archive of a mail list to refer to old post made before they subscribed to the list or if they do not wish to be swamped in list traffic at their email address so prefer to visit the archive to browse topics relevant to them when it is convenient. In either case, it would be rare to subscribe to the archive/forum.

But assuming you have a reason for subscribing to the archive, before you contact the owner (aka administrator) (moderator is the wrong terminology here)...
Have you subscribed to the archive? By default, you're just expected to visit it!
Have you succeeded in changing your registration at the archive to your current email address?
Is the subscription being sent to your old address?
Is it being treated as spam by your email provider?

Re: Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

Ernest P. Duckweather
GregChapman wrote
A mail list, by definition, is conducted via email and normally you would subscribe directly to the mail list and not the archive.  Most people only visit the archive of a mail list to refer to old post made before they subscribed to the list or if they do not wish to be swamped in list traffic at their email address so prefer to visit the archive to browse topics relevant to them when it is convenient. In either case, it would be rare to subscribe to the archive/forum.
Thanks for that clarification.  I was laboring under the misconception that Nabble functioned along the lines of YahooGroups, i.e., a forum that combined the functions of an email  listserve with those of an online message forum and archive.
But assuming you have a reason for subscribing to the archive, before you contact the owner (aka administrator) (moderator is the wrong terminology here)...
Thanks for that correction.  I usually find that communication goes more smoothly when both parties speak the same language.  ;)  And, even at my advanced age, I still enjoy learning something new each day.
Have you subscribed to the archive? By default, you're just expected to visit it!
Have you succeeded in changing your registration at the archive to your current email address?
Is the subscription being sent to your old address?
Is it being treated as spam by your email provider?
Thanks for all those good troubleshooting ideas!

I did some sleuthing and tracked down the problem and now seem to have everything back (or nearly back) to normal. I'm now receiving emals From the FreeDOS-User group at my preferred email address.  My problem was that I had mistakenly assumed that the FreeDOS-User emails were coming from Nabble, instead of from a Sourcforge list serve (called "Mailman"?  I'm still not certain about that.  But if it works, don't fix it.  Right?).

I still have the problem of sorting out my Nabble registration conflicts.   And still puzzled by something you wrote in a previous message: "No one has 'an account' at Nabble. "   But at this point, I think I would probably do well to simply delete my Nabble registrations, since they have just been a source of confusion to my poor old addled brain.

So this may be farewell, for now.

Thanks again for your patience and tenacity in sticking with me solving this problem.  I'm in your debt,

Ernie (a.k.a. "Clueless in Seattle")

Re: Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

GregChapman
Ernest P. Duckweather wrote
I did some sleuthing and tracked down the problem and now seem to have everything back (or nearly back) to normal. I'm now receiving emals From the FreeDOS-User group at my preferred email address.  My problem was that I had mistakenly assumed that the FreeDOS-User emails were coming from Nabble, instead of from a Sourcforge list serve (called "Mailman"?  I'm still not certain about that.  But if it works, don't fix it.  Right?).
Possibly! It depends what you may want to do next. Nabble is definitely not like YahooGroups. You do need the right concepts in your head or you could head for more trouble.

Mailman is very popular mail list software. It has no connection with Nabble. Anyone can create a Nabble forum to use as the archive for almost any public mail list. You don't need any connection with mail list. As you create the forum you get the forum to become a subscriber to the mail list. The forum software then posts each email it receives on the forum. It's as simple as that.

The complication comes when a user of the archive attempts to make a post. Nabble will forward the post to the mail list, but in 99% of cases the mail list will reject the post because it doesn't come from a recognised subscriber. Remember the poster isn't a subscriber, the forum itself is!

The good news is that you tell us you are a subscriber to the mailman list, so providing you are registered at the Nabble archive with the same address as your mailman subscription your posts will be accepted.
And still puzzled by something you wrote in a previous message: "No one has 'an account at Nabble'"
All I was trying to put across there is that you can't register on one forum hosted by Nabble and expect that registration to work on any other Nabble forum. You have individual registrations on each forum even if you do happen to use the same address and password on each.

Thanks for clearing up for  me how Nabble works.

Re: Need Help Changing Subscription Email Address

GregChapman
Glad to have been of help!

I remember you well from the NoteTab YahooGroup. Must be for over 10 years, with a long gap till recently.
Meanwhile, I've moved on and no longer run Windows or NoteTab, but am still a subscriber there.