Nabble, what happened to you?

Michael Pengi
Can anyone explain what happened to nabble?

I know n2 was coming on, but after a month or two of not having logged in to nabble, I guess a major switch has taken place. I learned from the "nabble has become useless" thread that one can find the old nabble archives via the old nabble catalog link on the front page.

But I really don't get it. I have logged in to n2, after migrating the account or whatever it's called. In n2 the essential shortcut list of my forums/lists is gone. Searching for them turns up nothing, at least the ones I've looked for. So, I guess n2 is completely separate from the original nabble?

Will the original nabble stay there in it's demoted position? Or is it going to be dumped at some point?

There must be some kind of intelligent reason for the change, but for the life of me...??? The original nabble was a wonder, one of the best assets on the web. If the new nabble is "new improved nabble 1" then why would all the data from nabble 1 be excluded from it, and one's 'favorites' or whatever they were called?

Sigh.

Re: Nabble, what happened to you?

Michael Pengi
Also, the old nabble catalog crashes my firefox 3; four times in the period since I wrote the post above.

Re: Nabble, what happened to you?

Will <Nabble>
Michael Pengi wrote
... one can find the old nabble archives via the old nabble catalog link on the front page.
There is also a link to your old nabble account at the upper-right corner.

Michael Pengi wrote
But I really don't get it. I have logged in to n2, after migrating the account or whatever it's called. In n2 the essential shortcut list of my forums/lists is gone. Searching for them turns up nothing, at least the ones I've looked for. So, I guess n2 is completely separate from the original nabble?
Yes. n2 completely separate from n1. This has been the case for 6 months now. Only recently we switched the homepage to running n2 instead of the old n1.

Michael Pengi wrote
Will the original nabble stay there in it's demoted position? Or is it going to be dumped at some point?
We'll let n1 run. We expect active n1 users who want n2 to request to migrate to n2. If they prefer n1, they can continue there.

Michael Pengi wrote
There must be some kind of intelligent reason for the change, but for the life of me...??? The original nabble was a wonder, one of the best assets on the web. If the new nabble is "new improved nabble 1" then why would all the data from nabble 1 be excluded from it, and one's 'favorites' or whatever they were called?
N1 is just one extra click away from the homepage. You either click the "Old nabble1 catalog" link or your old account link, and then you are in n1, and the "favorites" are still there.

Firefox 3 crashing

Graham Perrin
Michael Pengi wrote
the old nabble catalog crashes my firefox 3
With <http://www.nabble.com/freeforums.html> as a starting point I spent some time browsing <http://www.nabble.com/OpenOffice-f12770.html> and other fora. Here, using
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011912 Firefox/3.0.6 without difficulty, no crashes.

I would view any client-side crash of a browser as suggestive of a problem with that browser (and/or an add-on and/or extension/theme) and/or the OS (and/or a third party enhancement thereto).

Regards
Graham

Re: Nabble, what happened to you?

Will <Nabble>
Sorry for forgetting to address this. Thanks to Graham to respond.

The majority of Nabble users (including founders) are FireFox users. So, if Nabble crashes FireFox 3, it will be a major bug, but so far you are the first one to report it.

Please tell us your browser version and also try update to the latest FireFox. We do take bugs very seriously. We will fix it if it's a bug.

Re: Nabble, what happened to you?

Michael Pengi
I'm using firefox 3.0.6. It's not crashed so far today.

If one migrates to n2, is the n1 version of the forum gone?

I've looked through nabble help and cannot find any mention of why one might want to migrate. What is the point of n2? The universal backend aspect? Wasn't n1 also embeddable?

The main question I asked in my op is, if n2 is n1 plus, why didn't all of the forums get migrated? I looked at a n2 forum or whatever it's called and it looked very much like n1. So, would many n1 users have been against an automatic migration?

It seems like you're going to end up carrying more than one copy of the same lists. You have the flex coders yahoo group/list in n1; it's great having it in nabble. I don't want to ask you to move it; but what if someone else does ask you, or what if someone looks in n2 and does not see flex coders, and then asks you to add it? Either it'll be gone from n1, if you migrate/move, or you'll have two copies, if you migrate/copy. I guess you don't care about the duplication?

Re: Nabble, what happened to you?

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Michael Pengi wrote
If one migrates to n2, is the n1 version of the forum gone?
Yes.

Michael Pengi wrote
The main question I asked in my op is, if n2 is n1 plus, why didn't all of the forums get migrated?
They will, just over the time. The main difference of n1 and n2 is that n2 is distributed. The benefits of being distributed is that we can just add boxes if one box is maxed out. Vs n1 will eventually max out if we don't migrate existing stuff off to distributed servers.

Michael Pengi wrote
I looked at a n2 forum or whatever it's called and it looked very much like n1. So, would many n1 users have been against an automatic migration?
We removed the rating feature. Some people like it, but some are against it. But in general, the two are similar. We'll slowly migrate, but if people like to move right away, they can email us to request it.

Michael Pengi wrote
It seems like you're going to end up carrying more than one copy of the same lists. You have the flex coders yahoo group/list in n1; it's great having it in nabble. I don't want to ask you to move it; but what if someone else does ask you, or what if someone looks in n2 and does not see flex coders, and then asks you to add it? Either it'll be gone from n1, if you migrate/move, or you'll have two copies, if you migrate/copy. I guess you don't care about the duplication?
Duplication is fine as archives are already duplicated in many places. People can now start duplicate archives on n2 and we don't mind, it's their freedom.

You sound like a sincere and intelligent person. So, I hope you don't mind me asking what is in N2 that you don't like?

Re: Nabble, what happened to you?

Michael Pengi
Well, n2 required a separate login, it seemed, but that's a one time event. Then, no content I use in in n2 (that's kind of major!) N2 does not seem to have the favorites list which is a major asset in n1.

Now I know a bit more of what's going on. But at first it simply looked like n2 was starting from scratch as far as the data goes, and lacked the favorites thing. And n1 was perfect for my purposes. I have not used n2 at all, but I'd be surprised if feature-wise it's not as good as n1 (barring the fav's drop down list).

If I was going to write a comic strip re the n1-n2 change, knowing what I know now, which is about 5% of what you know (and thus my comic is likely unrealistic for some reason) I've have migrated all of n1 to n2, and kept the favorites dropdown list. But I can only say that based on the hope that n2 has the basic toolset that n1 had.

Oh - the rating feature is why you didn't auotmatically migrate? I wonder if then you couldn't make that optional in n2.

Favourites and flags

Graham Perrin
Michael Pengi wrote
N2 does not seem to have the favorites list which is a major asset in n1.
• Favorite forums in Nabble2
shortcut to a favourite forum: flag the forum
• Understanding the grey flag and red flag icons

Regards
Graham

Re: Nabble, what happened to you?

Isaac S.
..what....the....crud....
The Mysterious Legion Progress %10 Stay tuned for: Haunting By Rain