Nabble users, are you getting a lot of new members who never post?

Nabble users, are you getting a lot of new members who never post?

augidog
I use a small "statcounter" snippet to watch our forum traffic, and yes there are folks who will take the time to try and spam us, or to get member contact info. with statcounter I can see them and ban them quickly. but this question is specifically about a new rush of registrations with gmail addresses. they find my forum, take the time to register, don't post anything, then never seem to come around again.

does anyone else experience this? anyone know if there is anything "sinister" behind it?

Re: Nabble users, are you getting a lot of new members who never post?

GregChapman
Currently, I have no rush of this kind on any of my forums.

There was a period a couple of years ago when many of my forums appeared blighted with registrations. Here's a sample of just one forum's registrations:

cherypalma <f.r.a.n.kbi.ll.ione.r.d.ol.la.rs@gmail.com>
walanfon <p.et.terd.j.e.k.s.on.a.r.izon.a@gmail.com>
roseaharye <f.r.an.kbi.llio.ne.rdol.l.a.rs@gmail.com>
jildalen <r.al.f.r.i.c.h.e.r.d.s.aus.t.r.a.lia@gmail.com>
antilla <r.a.l.fr.icher.dsa.u.str.a.l.i.a@gmail.com>
nayemy <r.alf.ric.he.rds.a.u.s.t.ra.li.a@gmail.com>
viviacha <ral.fr.ic.herdsa.u.stra.l.i.a@gmail.com>
kristbale <r.alfr.ic.her.d.saust.rali.a@gmail.com>
kanells <ra.lfri.c.he.r.dsaus.tr.a.lia@gmail.com>
lorihol <b.o.b.m.arleyf.o.r.everon.ly@gmail.com>
jasklari <r.a.lfr.i.ch.e.rdsau.stra.l.i.a@gmail.com>
fortjanni <p.et.t.e.rd.jeks.o.n.a.r.i.zo.n.a@gmail.com>

As you can see they all followed a pattern and I got into the habit of banning such addressed on sight. It's why I still operate all my forums with:
Options > Application > Extras & Addons > Email & Notifications > Notify me when someone registers
turned on!

Maybe Nabble (or GMail) did something to stop such registrations because suddenly they stopped coming.

Re: Nabble users, are you getting a lot of new members who never post?

augidog
hi Greg, your wave was definitely more prevalent than what I'm seeing, 3 new but silent gmail addresses inside a week. as slow and narrowly focused as we are, that's noticeable. I do let most silent members remain active, but if I ever see them browsing user profiles, out they go right away.

like you, I make good use of the "new member" notification, and I recommend everyone does.

I hope it's ok to shout out here for Statcounter...I'm not affiliated...even at the free level, it's much fun, and a beauty security asset. the "visitor path" is my favorite, it lets me see a lot of detail while not being intrusive...people pop in from all over the planet to check out our little place.

just display the code for our main page and find the java snippet to see how easy. it's been trouble-free for me.