Nabble usage questions... before I dive in

Nabble usage questions... before I dive in

fgreco
I'm interested in using embedded Nabble, but I had a few questions.

* What is Nabble's business model?  Is the software open-source with paid support?

* Who owns the content to my forums?  What format is the content to my forums stored?  Can I export this data out?

* What type of anti-spam filtering/mechanisms does Nabble offer?

* Does a poster have to have a Nabble user account to post?  Our community site already has a registration process.

* Will there be any guarantees that Nabble itself won't be spamming my community in the future?

* And just curious, what Java technologies/frameworks are employed on the server side?

Thanks,

Frank

Re: Nabble usage questions... before I dive in

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
fgreco wrote
* What is Nabble's business model?  Is the software open-source with paid support?
The software is not open source right now, but the support is free. As for the business model, it eventually will run some non-intrusive ads, equal or less than Google ads.

fgreco wrote
* Who owns the content to my forums?  What format is the content to my forums stored?  Can I export this data out?
Forum owner and authors own the content. The content is stored in our database. We can export the data out in xml format if you want.

fgreco wrote
* What type of anti-spam filtering/mechanisms does Nabble offer?
We don't have any. Forums owner and users can moderate a forum by removing posts. But we don't have any automatic detection for spams.

fgreco wrote
* Does a poster have to have a Nabble user account to post?  Our community site already has a registration process.
Yes. We do allow anonymous posting, but you can turn that off. As for integration with existing user database, we don't have that yet.

fgreco wrote
* Will there be any guarantees that Nabble itself won't be spamming my community in the future?
We hate spam as much as you do.

fgreco wrote
* And just curious, what Java technologies/frameworks are employed on the server side?
Nabble uses these technologies: http://n2.nabble.com/more/PoweredBy.jtp

Re: Nabble usage questions... before I dive in

Graham Perrin
fgreco wrote
* What type of anti-spam filtering/mechanisms does Nabble offer?
I participate in maybe a score of Nabble-based forums where the audiences would scream blue murder if unsolicited messages were a problem.

Whilst such messages are not non-existent, occurrence is (to me) extremely rare and moreover:

* the opportunity to immediately ban a true offender is extremely pleasing.

(A guess: the results of a ban in a single context are highly effective Nabble-wide.)

On a more general note, I'd recommend Nabble without hesitation.

Moderation: implementation, discussion and review are very pleasing

Graham Perrin
A question that wasn't asked:

* moderation.

http://n2.nabble.com/Very-confused-why-admins-can-not...-tp1322377p1394977.html is exemplary, I find discussions such as that very reassuring.