Nabble permalink offered in WebKit is not wholly reliable, and differs from resulting URL in Firefox

Nabble permalink offered in WebKit is not wholly reliable, and differs from resulting URL in Firefox

Graham Perrin
At <http://chandlerproject.org/Journal/GrahamPerrin20090111> | Benefits of using Nabble

I offered an example of a permalink.

The example given was <http://n2.nabble.com/Understanding-and-housekeeping-weeding-%281%29-binary_backup.tgz-%282%29-backup.chex-%283%29-date-time-stamped-.chex-files-%284%29-__repository__.*-directories-tp2109816p2139702.html>, copied from the permalink dialogue of a message posted on 10th January.

In Firefox 3.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.5.6, the permalink seems to work as expected.

In Safari and other WebKit-based browsers, including WebKit-SVN-r39790 (nightly), the results of the permalink are unpredictable, at least in Classic view.

If I copy the URL from the address bar of Firefox, the result is distinctly different (this type of thing rings a bell, sorry if I'm duplicating an earlier report):

<http://n2.nabble.com/Understanding-and-housekeeping-weeding-(1)-binary_backup.tgz-(2)-backup.chex-(3)-date-time-stamped-.chex-files-(4)-__repository__.*-directories-td2109816.html#a2139702>.

If this is a bug in WebKit, might there be an interim workaround in Nabble?

TIA
Graham

Re: Nabble permalink offered in WebKit is not wholly reliable, and differs from resulting URL in Firefox

Graham Perrin
Some screen shots:

Firefox scrolls down to a proper place:

An approximation of the point to which Safari should scroll:

The (wrong) point to which Safari actually scrolls:

If it's relevant: in Safari security preferences I am allowing all cookies.

(In the page originally mentioned, I now use an example permalink that seems to be less prone to errors in WebKit: <http://n2.nabble.com/Another-proposal-and-mock-up-tp2016904p2108365.html>.)

Re: Nabble permalink offered in WebKit is not wholly reliable, and differs from resulting URL in Firefox

Graham Perrin
Now using Safari 4 Public Beta (5528.16) on Mac OS X, the example above is still bugged, but only in Classic view. Scrolling occurs, but not far enough:

— should scroll to the message on 10th January
— actually scrolls to around 7th January.

Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP Service Pack 3 seems OK with this one.