Nabble is now open-source

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
New public repository address
https://hg.luan.ws/nabble

Re: Nabble is now open-source

pedroabgNabble
Hello ,
did anyone figured out how to run NAbble's software locally?

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Franklin
Administrator
doc/install.txt has been added to the source.

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Gary Lewis
Thank you.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Hello, is it possible to run using postgres 10 ?
I can run nabble software but when I try to create a new forum I get this error :
Error 500
url=http://localhost:8080/more/ForumStart$Save.jtp?g-recaptcha-response=03AGdBq25SFrTZRBHTASpWqdJyI395JBZ_XcPCI9vylr7qAHFtj4Vid5WqC0mEeTnxd9hUcNAaKYEr3RfEYUUsEV-H1mWFHFo9lkMLTdIdtyTUhNGF2wi0R4BFPuRp3bYKEZR2si2VMmZdt3yd1mY_G9YbSsXkJyjHQ3uaHRZggZ46N5x932kjYYtbyjoee58TuL6T6u5saZBA7nraLRchwFtqdxZ-POSHv3tLKuCLe9sR92gjcjsDDmDd7FoIcaYb6cJ8AksWoBx6Hk0IYJiu07B14WfjiGu6yMw9ETl4maEXs4r5y6ydqCiWsVW-2MefDspYQmWFmMonLlr_laeI8tt7xCYeVaGQ4-kDVI1FAfWCRGxZZdc43lVwRIuoFRy449UNmrkTDZXyQMR7NaQpVCjPv9xzBE6aO1oql3Ms0L-pMFkxGx5KQ6ovDZofWVwQtEezYj3iHZIb&password=123456&what=Forum&terms=y&subject=TEste1&type=forum&lang=none&message=eee&email=pedroabg@gmail.com&username=pedro.gomes  method=POST user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.116 Safari/537.36 referer=http://localhost:8080/free-forum.html remote=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
Message: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Versões do servidor anteriores a 8.0 não suportam savepoints.

RequestURI: /more/ForumStart$Save.jtp

Server: localhost:8080

Caused by:
nabble.view.lib.JtpContextServlet$JtpRuntimeException: url=http://localhost:8080/more/ForumStart$Save.jtp?g-recaptcha-response=03AGdBq25SFrTZRBHTASpWqdJyI395JBZ_XcPCI9vylr7qAHFtj4Vid5WqC0mEeTnxd9hUcNAaKYEr3RfEYUUsEV-H1mWFHFo9lkMLTdIdtyTUhNGF2wi0R4BFPuRp3bYKEZR2si2VMmZdt3yd1mY_G9YbSsXkJyjHQ3uaHRZggZ46N5x932kjYYtbyjoee58TuL6T6u5saZBA7nraLRchwFtqdxZ-POSHv3tLKuCLe9sR92gjcjsDDmDd7FoIcaYb6cJ8AksWoBx6Hk0IYJiu07B14WfjiGu6yMw9ETl4maEXs4r5y6ydqCiWsVW-2MefDspYQmWFmMonLlr_laeI8tt7xCYeVaGQ4-kDVI1FAfWCRGxZZdc43lVwRIuoFRy449UNmrkTDZXyQMR7NaQpVCjPv9xzBE6aO1oql3Ms0L-pMFkxGx5KQ6ovDZofWVwQtEezYj3iHZIb&password=123456&what=Forum&terms=y&subject=TEste1&type=forum&lang=none&message=eee&email=pedroabg@gmail.com&username=pedro.gomes  method=POST user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.116 Safari/537.36 referer=http://localhost:8080/free-forum.html remote=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
	at nabble.view.lib.JtpContextServlet.handleException(JtpContextServlet.java:542)
	at nabble.view.lib.JtpContextServlet.service2(JtpContextServlet.java:442)
	at nabble.view.lib.JtpContextServlet.service(JtpContextServlet.java:311)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:565)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1360)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlets.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:77)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlets.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:144)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
	at cachingfilter.CachingFilter.doFilter(CachingFilter.java:128)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
	at fschmidt.util.servlet.BadBotFilter.doFilter(BadBotFilter.java:74)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
	at fschmidt.util.servlet.ConnectionLimitFilter.doFilter(ConnectionLimitFilter.java:94)
	at nabble.view.lib.NabbleConnectionLimitFilter.doFilter(NabbleConnectionLimitFilter.java:26)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
	at nabble.view.lib.NabbleErrorFilter.doFilter(NabbleErrorFilter.java:21)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:477)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:225)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1031)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:406)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:186)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:965)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:250)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:149)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:111)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.handleRequest(AbstractHttpConnection.java:449)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(AbstractHttpConnection.java:925)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:857)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:235)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:76)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:609)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:45)
	at nabble.model.Executors$1$1.run(Executors.java:27)
	at fschmidt.util.executor.ThreadTimer$1.run(ThreadTimer.java:18)
	at fschmidt.util.executor.AbstractThreadPool$1.run(AbstractThreadPool.java:29)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Versões do servidor anteriores a 8.0 não suportam savepoints.
	at nabble.model.TagImpl.addTag(TagImpl.java:39)
	at nabble.model.SiteImpl.addTag(SiteImpl.java:480)
	at nabble.view.lib.Permissions.addToGroup(Permissions.java:48)
	at nabble.view.web.more.ForumStart$Save.service(ForumStart.java:246)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
	at nabble.view.lib.JtpContextServlet.service2(JtpContextServlet.java:440)
	... 38 more
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Versões do servidor anteriores a 8.0 não suportam savepoints.
	at org.postgresql.jdbc3.AbstractJdbc3Connection.setSavepoint(AbstractJdbc3Connection.java:99)
	at fschmidt.db.postgres.PostgresExceptionHandler.<init>(PostgresExceptionHandler.java:18)
	at fschmidt.db.postgres.DbDatabaseImpl.executeUpdateIgnoringDuplicateKeys(DbDatabaseImpl.java:62)
	at nabble.model.TagImpl.addTag(TagImpl.java:35)
	... 43 more

Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Server versions before 8 does not support savepoints

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Uffe Jakobsen
Raven<Nabble> wrote
Nabble is now open-source.

Here is the public repository.
https://bitbucket.org/frschmidt/nabble
The repository listed above is not available form bitbucket.org anymore

Did you move to somewhere else ?

Re: Nabble is now open-source

GregChapman
See:
http://support.nabble.com/Nabble-is-now-open-source-tp7603082p7604948.html

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Paul H
Greg,

A good Github client will help developers to make incremental  and experimental changes on their local clone.

Versioning and differencing are great, meaning you can easily unwind or rewind your changes that corrupt or crash your Nabble clone.

The very careful step is merging your changes to the Master branch. A test-approve system is mission critical, as is beta testing. That requires automation and dedicated developers.

It's common to rebuild the product everynight, so that all developerment changes are available to the team.

Paul

Re: Nabble is now open-source

nnako
Hi there,

are there any news concerning the continuation of development for Nabble?

Thanks.

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
Probably Nabble will be replaced by another forum in the future.

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Franklin

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Gary Lewis
Will we be able to port our Nabble forums to the new one?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
Yes, it's going to be possible.

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Gary Lewis
Excellent!
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Nabble is now open-source

nnako
Hi @Franklin,

long time... good to see you again ;-)

I remember trying to get Nabble to run on one of my servers some months ago. But I failed in the attempt to understand the available documentation available from the old repo location. Now that the code moved, is there a (maybe improved) documentation available? Where do I find it?

@GaryLewis, how did you manage to install Nabble on Weebly? What documentation did you use? Or maybe, would you be willing to share your installation and setup recipe for me (or others) to try?

Thanks.

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Gary Lewis
I'm obviously not Franklin, but I've tried running Nabble on my own servers and cannot get it running correctly.  I hired someone that used to work for Franklin and he's not been able to sort out the final problem - you can log on with some browsers but not with others.  I spent quite a bit of money doing that, with no joy.  I'd love to take my rather large forum off of Franklin's servers, but can't quite get there.

As for having my forum embedded on Weebly, I don't know of any special tricks.  I got the embed code and followed the instructions.  But one key is that both Weebly and Nabble have to either have security turned on or off.  In other words, if it is on for Weebly it must be on for Nabble.

Beyond that, I could take screen shots of my setup and share them with you via email as I don't think I want to advertise that openly on here.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Nabble is now open-source

nnako
Hi @GaryLewis ,

Gary Lewis wrote
I'm obviously not Franklin ...
no, you are not Franklin ;-) . If you change to Nabble's "threaded" view (one of the three view options at the top of the page), you will see that I answered to Franklin's message. But, yes, I have heard that most people don't use the threaded view.

Gary Lewis wrote
... I've tried running Nabble on my own servers and cannot get it running correctly.  I hired someone that used to work for Franklin and he's not been able to sort out the final problem - you can log on with some browsers but not with others.  I spent quite a bit of money doing that, with no joy...
Sorry for that. I myself have loads of similar experiences. Investing time and money trying to get something to work which was promoted in a way that I thought I actually could be successful... but, no. That is how development seems to become, as soon as there is no real interest in opening solutions to the public... no interest in providing good documentation and at least some minimum level of support. Money rules the world, rather than relationships and shared technical excitement ... ;-)

Gary Lewis wrote
As for having my forum embedded on Weebly, I don't know of any special tricks...
Ok. I thought you managed to install the Nabble source code on a dedicated server somehow. Not continuing to use the old Nabble service from the provided servers. Never mind.

Gary Lewis wrote
Beyond that, I could take screen shots of my setup and share them with you via email as I don't think I want to advertise that openly on here.
Great. That would be nice.

Thanks.

PS: while typing, I still feel a kind of "love" for how things are done in Nabble. Such a good concept! Why can't we fix it on a development level and move forward with it? I am a developer myself and I have seen bad solutions to great ideas. Nabble is not one of them. So much would be possible, I'm convinced ...

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Gary Lewis
I'm happy with Nabble - but the Nabble before some of the changes were made.  And it is the pre-change Nabble I have had installed on my servers.  Man, if I could get that last thing fixed where everyone can log on I could take my traffic off Franklin's servers.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Nabble is now open-source

Hi Paul,

The trouble with Nabble is that it's written in NAML a language of Franklin's devising and one which he has said that he's abandoned himself. With a background like that outsiders are not going to invest their time in learning NAML, even through a popular repository like Github or Sourceforge.

Gary Lewis, with the help of one of Nabble's ex-staffers, did finally get a copy of Nabble running on his server. Not simple! Nabble is designed to run a full commercial enterprise and requires a rather expensive server package that can't really be justified for a single forum. Because of the lack of documentation he still hasn't got some of the features operating as he requires, even with the support of the ex-staffer.

Blasma, which used to be Franklin's planned replacement, was also based on a new language of his own devising. The Nabble forum that covered its development was deleted a while ago after a long period, of inactivity so I assumed development of the Nabble replacement had been abandoned.

It's good to hear from Israel that there is a replcement being developed, but I would hope that it will be developed using a well known popular language or I fear it will it will never garner support from anyone other than those with an interest in ongoing support for Nabble.

I've been participating here for 12 years and nnako is the only person I have been aware of who ever indicated to me that he might have the skills needed to get Nabble running on his own server. To hear he has similar problems to Gary does not surprise me. However, if Gary and nnako can get together it could be a way forward for old style Nabble.

In the meantime, I look forward to hearing more from Israel about what stage the official Nabble replacement is.

Re: Nabble is now open-source

fffilimnov
Hello.

I had free time and did setup on Linux VPS using existing instructions.
It looks working well.
Can you check?

https://custom.njveiruownvew.com/

If it's ok I can make some scripts with more easy way to install it.

I used latest version of nabble but I think it will be possible to use previous commits.
1234