Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Harvey
Got this note today:

My new friend
 my name is mirian,i am  well pleased to contact you after viewing your profile i am interested in having communication with you as a genuine friend, please dear write me back using my e-mail address [mirian_5555@yahoo.in], i am waiting to hear from you soon.
yours new friend
mirian

_____________________________________
Sent from http://support.nabble.com

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Hugo <Nabble>
I banned this email address. Thanks for reporting.

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

GregChapman
I had that message too in one of my forums.

However of more concern over the last three days is that all of my forums are suffering registrations from spammers. (some I catch and ban on registration before the spam arrives.)

All have gmail addresses taking much the same form, a name and something else, usually a state/country, much interspersed with dots, such as:

ral.f.ric.her.d.s.au.s.tral.i.a@gmail.com
b.ob.m.a.rley.forevero.nly@gmail.com
r.al.fricher.d.s.a.ustr.alia@gmail.com
fr.a.nk.bi.ll.i.o.n.e.r.dol.l.a.r.s@gmail.com
f.r.a.nkb.il.l.ion.erd.o.lla.r.s@gmail.com
pe.tt.e.r.d.je.k.so.n.ar.iz.o.na@gmail.com

These are just some of them. I don't suppose there's a chance of capturing these and preventing them arrive at individual forums?

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Pedro
It's not easy to prevent, they are always changing their emails.

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

GregChapman
I was hoping you'd say that six or more dots before an @ would not be acceptable.

I recognise that this is a tricky issue and the spammer may soon realise they are locked out and change their pattern of addresses, but my forums continue to be swamped with unwanted users. :-(  Almost anything would help.

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Hugo <Nabble>
Detecting spammers at registration is hard. What we do at this point is blacklist whatever content they are trying to promote (websites, email addresses, etc.). This proved to be efficient in most of the cases. We will look for other solutions if this continues to bother everyone.

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Harvey
I am certainly no expert on this but this site has proven incredibly valuable to me:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Maybe there is a way to pull their information via API directly into Nabble to catch spammers at registration?

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

GregChapman
I don't know if you've implemented some change, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as over the last 24 hours the unwanted registrations seem to have stopped coming.

Many thanks, if it is down to a change at Nabble!

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Marc Martin
Yes, I haven't seen any unwanted registrations for a few days now, so SOMETHING has changed for the better.  :-)

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Pedro
Yes we did. And we are glad to see its effect.

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Curses! They seem to be back:

Just had the following appear on two of my forums, the second posting within a minute as well:

Name = kristbale
Email = r.alfr.ic.her.d.saust.rali.a@gmail.com

Name = enligvin
Email = r.a.lfric.he.rdsa.u.st.ra.l.i.a@gmail.com

Edit:
And another two in a third forum. One of these made a post as well.

Name = maddren
Email = b.ob.m.a.rle.y.fore.ve.ro.n.l.y@gmail.com

Name = sandradn
Email = r.a.l.f.riche.r.d.s.a.u.stra.l.i.a@gmail.com

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Pedro
I saw. I'm trying to identify a pattern in their messages to block it.

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Greg, could you give the url to these posts?

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

GregChapman
I've banned and deleted them, I'm afraid, but in one case I can forward the mail to your avatar address if that helps.

Yes, send it to my email, please.

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

GregChapman
Done!

I'll be away from my computer for a few hours, so no more instant responses! :-)

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Marc Martin
Yes, lots of new bogus gmail addresses (with long usernames and multiple periods interspersed) on my two forums today... fortunately, since only members can post/reply/see other users, they can't do anything but be banned... :-)

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

Hi Pedro,

Here's the URL of a spam post received while was out. Let me know when you've got what you need from it and I'll delete it.

http://ruston-reaches.1088553.n5.nabble.com/Bushido-Wo-Du-Hier-Gelandet-Bist-mp3-tp56.html;cid=1380061129907-165

We were successful on blocking them these morning. I will try to do it again.

Re: Nabble Support: a place to meet girls?

GregChapman
Hi Pedro,

This one came in last night (here in UK) and it a little different from others I have seen, so don't know if you caught it.

http://nelson-head.2302417.n4.nabble.com/DOWNLOAD-Sparrow-Flows-Of-Death-Vls-quot-2010-quot-td4639293.html