Nabble Forum SEO

Harvey
As I've said before, I consider the addition of the add title and meta description feature to be a game changer.

I had an idea for how to make it even better/easier to use.

Ideally, for desktop machines, title tags should be between 40-70 characters and meta descriptions should be between 140-155.

How hard would it be to put a character counter below each of the two fields so you knew how long each meta tag was?  That would be FANTASTIC.

Thoughts?

FYI proper meta description length is shorter than it used to be.  Google is adding DATES in the description area and it has shortened what they will display:

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Pedro
I guess this counter can be done with javascript. I'll try to do it and post the code later.

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Harvey
Pedro... is that something that will cause issues? Slow down the site?  What do you think of the idea?

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey, you are talking about the "Options > Application > Change title and meta tags" feature, right?
If yes, then it should be easy to add those counters without causing any harm to the site. The idea is certainly good.

Besides that, I have another thought. As you probably know, search engines don't use the meta keywords anymore. They completely ignore it because people have been abusing that tag since the early days of internet. So maybe we should remove the custom keywords field because it doesn't help the page in any practical way. What do you think?

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey, you are talking about the "Options > Application > Change title and meta tags" feature, right?
If yes, then it should be easy to add those counters without causing any harm to the site. The idea is certainly good.

Besides that, I have another thought. As you probably know, search engines don't use the meta keywords anymore. They completely ignore it because people have been abusing that tag since the early days of internet. So maybe we should remove the custom keywords field because it doesn't help the page in any practical way. What do you think?
I've been thinking about this and almost mentioned it in my original post.

Probably makes sense to get rid of  meta keywords.

Please Hugo make the counter count the SPACES too.  Some counters don't and that defeats the purpose.

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Pedro
Hi Harvey,
It will be available after the next release.

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Harvey
It looks good.

I do think  we can lose the meta keywords.

Also custom to my forum, then title tag ending is appended automatically so it isn't included in the count.  Probably not worth dealing with.  I know my ending is 13 characters and I'll add it in my head.

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Pedro
The title will be automatically counted

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Harvey
That is cool thanks.

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Pedro
Sorry Harvey, I forgot your "extra" title. This will not be counted automatically.

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Harvey
OK.

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Harvey
The counter works well.

Are you going to kill meta keywords?  I think you should.

Re: Nabble Forum SEO

Hugo <Nabble>
Yes, we should do that soon.