NO TO ADS!

lins
I joined Nabble specifically because it was an ad-free site. I have spent months setting this up and getting my group to use it. The group includes children and their parents particularly didn't want a forum with ads they could click on by mistake.  I'm furious about this.  I realise you have to make money but surely it should be made clear to users when they begin using the product and those of us who have already started using it should have credits or notice or....  something!

Re: NO TO ADS!

mywaytoo

Re: NO TO ADS!

Mosiah
I'm not happy either but the prices for removing the ads are very resonable. I only hope that we're getting the option to remove the ads for a fee and put in our own Adsense. Wasn't this supposed to be ready by now?

Re: NO TO ADS!

Peter <Nabble>
The only thing I ask myself is why would you do it since it seems you are paying to remove them and getting money to place them and you would stand pretty much at the same place when you started: little money difference (if any) and ads.

But in fact the possibility to replace our ads with yours once you have paid to remove ours is a nice idea. We will consider this.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: NO TO ADS!

GregChapman
Peter <Nabble> wrote
The only thing I ask myself is why would you do it since it seems you are paying to remove them and getting money to place them and you would stand pretty much at the same place when you started
From my point of view having text-only ads is far better than banner ads, which frequently louse up your colour scheme, often have distracting animations, are generally so intrusive. (It was one of the major reasons why I moved away from Yahoo, when I realised that many of my users visited their site rather than use the Yahoo!Group as a mail list in what they call "Traditional" format. Long live plain text mail! :-) )

However, as I pointed out elsewhere, the problem with Google Ads is that they are so well targeted you have far more chance of losing your visitor as they click on the ad and travel away from your site.

Re: NO TO ADS!

mywaytoo
GregChapman wrote
However, as I pointed out elsewhere, the problem with Google Ads is that they are so well targeted you have far more chance of losing your visitor as they click on the ad and travel away from your site.
Really? Cos I have no interest whatsoever in 'xvid', whatever it is that they have on their videos, and nor am I interested in travel, and certainly not to Poland...

Anne

Re: NO TO ADS!

GregChapman
Hi Anne,

You seem to have missed my point about targeted ads and misunderstand Xvid.

I was suggesting that adverts that are likely to have no relevance to your readership (such as travel to Poland) are better to have than Google Ads, because your readers will ignore them and stay on your site. With a well targeted Google Ad they are likely to leave.

Saying, "I have no interest whatsoever in 'xvid', whatever it is that they have on their videos" is exactly like saying "I have no interest whatsoever in VHS, whatever it is that they have on their videos", or in a more computer oriented way "I have no interest whatsoever in 'Microsoft WORD', whatever it is that they have in their documents". VHS was the tape format on which video were displayed. Xvid is the computer equivalent. WORD is just the program into which you put your content.