Multiple identities

ptoye1
I use a few applications whose user support (like Nabble) uses the Nabble platform. I also use different mailing addresses for each app. I would like to have the same user ID for all of them, but when I try to register that ID with a new email address Nabble tells me that it already has a user with that name.

Is there any way of having the same user name with different email addresses? At the moment my Nabble mail is getting into the wrong inbox and causing a small amount of havoc!
Peter

Re: Multiple identities

GregChapman
I am not certain that I understand your question. You may need to explain more.

There is nothing to stop you having the same username on multiple Nabble forums. If you see a message that says your chosen username is already in use on one of the forums you use then you have no choice but to use another on that forum.

If you have already got that username in use on other forums then you will need to change your username on the other forums to be something a little more unusual that others are unlikely to choose.

There is also nothing to stop you using a different address on each forum. An address can be paired with any username you like on any forum. However on any individual forum no username or address can be duplicated.

Re: Multiple identities

ptoye1
This post was updated on .
Thanks Greg.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. What I want to do is to have the same username for all the forums that I belong to, but have different email addresses and passwords. That way mail gets sorted into the correct inbox. What you have said implies that I should be able to do it.

I'm obviously going to have to play with the settings, as I suspect I've screwed things up when trying to get into a forum.

[Later] Something's definitely screwed up! I went to a forum, entered an email address and said that I'd lost the password. I got to the window to ask for a password reset, filled in the email address that I want for that forum and was told that there was an unregistered user with that address, and that I'd need to register. So I got to the registration page, filled in my name, email address and a new password, and was told that the name was already in use. As the name is fairly unusual, and I'm fairly sure that there's no-one else in that forum who uses it (I subscribe to their mailing list, and would have seen someone else with the same name), I can only assume that Nabble already knows me from another forum and won't let me share the name. Hence my original post (with its clarification above). It seems that the only way I can belong to 3 forums (fora?) is to have 3 different user names - which I've already done for this forum.
Peter

Re: Multiple identities

GregChapman
ptoye1 wrote
Something's definitely screwed up! I went to a forum, entered an email address and said that I'd lost the password. I got to the window to ask for a password reset, filled in the email address that I want for that forum and was told that there was an unregistered user with that address, and that I'd need to register. So I got to the registration page, filled in my name, email address and a new password, and was told that the name was already in use.
That makes it sound as if you have visited that forum more than once and used different addresses on different occasions. It also sounds as if you have registered one address but not the other and when you attempted to register the second address you entered the username already in use with the other registered address.

Assuming that is correct, I suggest you register the address you no longer wish to use with a username that you are prepared to abandon. Once you have this unwanted address associated with an unwanted username you can edit the profile of the wanted address to have your preferred username. To do that:

1. Login with the address you wish to keep

2. Click on your username. (This will open a menu)

3. On the menu, click on "Account Settings" (Your Account Setting screen appears)

4. On the Account Settings screen click on "Edit Personal Information" (Your User Profile screen appears)

5. On the User Profile Screen, Enter your preferred username in the appropriate field and click the "Save Changes" button

You are then taken to your "Posts in xxxxx" screen, where you should be able to confirm the username change has taken effect and navigate onwards as you choose.
I can only assume that Nabble already knows me from another forum and won't let me share the name.
That won't be the case. Each Nabble forum has completely independent user data.

Most likely, the forum you describe allows unregistered users to post. In such cases you when posting you would  be prompted for an email address and be obliged to complete a Captcha. Perhaps, you used the address that you now wish to abandon. Forums set like that place cookies on your computer which will populate the user fields as you attempt to post again, so while those fields can be over-written it is designed encourage people to use the same id when posting further messages to that forum.

I suspect it is such a cookie that gives you the impression you are "known by Nabble". It's not that you are in some company-wide database, it simply that any Nabble forum will use a cookie to recognise that you have visited before. You'd find, if you used a different computer, you'd get the unrecognised/new user response as the cookie would not be present.
It seems that the only way I can belong to 3 forums (fora?) is to have 3 different user names - which I've already done for this forum.
That is not so. Nabble's requirements are that on any one forum any address is unique and that any username is unique. There is no sharing of user id data across forums.

If you have used two addresses on a single forum then you simply need to change the username associated with the address you wish to abandon to something that you do not intend to use again and change the username of the one you intend to use in future as desired, using the process outlined above.

Re: Multiple identities

ptoye1
Re: Multiple identities Greg,

That's incredibly helpful - I've only just had your email so haven't had time to try out your suggestions. But it's good to know that I can do what I want.

You're right - there are several cookies from Nabble on my machine.

Thanks a lot and a happy new year to you.

Best regards,

Peter
[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

ptoye1 wrote
[...]

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Multiple-identities-tp7597594p7597601.html
To unsubscribe from Multiple identities, click here.
NAML
Peter

Re: Multiple identities

ptoye1
Re: Multiple identities Thanks Greg,

I think I'm sorted now. I've had to leave my unwanted username on the system as I posted a couple of messages before I realised what was going on. Oh well. See a few comments below.

Have a good 2017.

Best regards,

Peter
[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

... I suggest you register the address you no longer wish to use with a username that you are prepared to abandon. Once you have this unwanted address associated with an unwanted username you can edit the profile of the wanted address to have your preferred username. To do that:

1. Login with the address you wish to keep

2. Click on your username. (This will open a menu)

3. On the menu, click on "Account Settings" (Your Account Setting screen appears)

4. On the Account Settings screen click on "Edit Personal Information" (Your User Profile screen appears)

5. On the User Profile Screen, Enter your preferred username in the appropriate field and click the "Save Changes" button

You are then taken to your "Posts in xxxxx" screen, where you should be able to confirm the username change has taken effect and navigate onwards as you choose.
This seems to have worked OK. Many thanks.

[...]

You're right about the unregistered users. And, I suspect the cookie. I've at least a dozen with "nabble" in the address.

It seems that the only way I can belong to 3 forums (fora?) is to have 3 different user names - which I've already done for this forum.
That is not so. Nabble's requirements are that on any one forum any address is unique and that any username is unique. There is no sharing of user id data across forums.

If you have used two addresses on a single forum then you simply need to change the username associated with the address you wish to abandon to something that you do not intend to use again and change the username of the one you intend to use in future as desired, using the process outlined above.
Thanks again. I think I'm sorted.