Moving subcategory to a new top-level forum

Moving subcategory to a new top-level forum

ryandesign
Hi,

I'm a manager of the MacPorts project. We have had Nabble archives for three of our mailing lists for many years:

http://mac-os-forge.2317878.n4.nabble.com/MacPorts-Users-f115275.html
http://mac-os-forge.2317878.n4.nabble.com/MacPorts-Developer-f142313.html
http://mac-os-forge.2317878.n4.nabble.com/MacPorts-Tickets-f4.html

It looks like these were set up by "Hugo" but I don't know who that is; I don't think it's anybody affiliated with our project. Back when these archives were set up, MacPorts was hosted by Mac OS Forge, and our mailing list addresses were at a hostname related to Mac OS Forge, which I'm guessing is how "mac-os-forge" made its way into the URLs for those Nabble archives.

The Mac OS Forge service closed in 2016. and the MacPorts mailing lists moved to a MacPorts hostname. But Nabble still considers MacPorts to be a subcomponent of the now defunct Mac OS Forge organization.

I'd like to move the MacPorts subcategory of the Mac OS Forge forum to its own top-level forum. I don't want to lose all the messages Nabble has been archiving over the years, and I don't want to lose the URLs that Nabble had been using for our archives, but ideally I would like the old URLs to redirect to new ones that say "macports" rather than "mac-os-forge".

We also need to update the list email addresses for all of our lists to use our new hostname. Currently, messages posted through Nabble still go to the old Mac OS Forge hostname. And while that is currently configured to forward to the new hostname, users whose email providers have strict DMARC policies cannot view those forwards, so we want to turn off that forwarding and ensure everyone is using the new hostname.

I created a "macports" account within the Mac OS Forge organization, if that helps for assigning the MacPorts forums to us.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Re: Moving subcategory to a new top-level forum

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
For the second request there is a settings page. Proceed with the steps below:
click on --> options > application > mailing list archive settings, you can change the address there.

Re: Moving subcategory to a new top-level forum

GregChapman
Hi Israel,

As this was one of those forums created by Hugo, while Ryandesign doesn't request it, this seems to me one of those cases where transfer of ownership of the old forums to ryandesign should be applied.

Re: Moving subcategory to a new top-level forum

ryandesign
Yeah I don't think I have access to those options yet since I don't own those forums.

If the ownership could be assigned to the "macports" user instead of just me, that would be better. Then I can share that login with the other MacPorts managers.

We have added you as administrator. Can you please try again?
You can add other users to the administrators group.

Re: Moving subcategory to a new top-level forum

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
Do you want a structure like  in the image below ?