Moderation / Time / etc

1j1

Moderation / Time / etc

1j1
Hello, I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to assign to someone a permission to edit other members' posts?  Sorta like making that member a moderator?
I figured out it's kinda possible by putting that member in an Administrators group, but then that automatically adds him a permission to change Category/Forum/Subforum's titles and descriptions, and most importantly - to change permissions of all groups everywhere - something I don't want that member to be able to do aside from just deleting/locking topics & editing other's posts.

2) Is it possible for forum members to select the forum time according to timezones they live in?  I see everywhere it shows a standard German time which is wrong for me & especially inconvenient to see when some post was made for those who live in say USA.

3) Is it somehow possible to automatically show like "Edited by...  on..." at the bottom of the post if it was edited?

4) Is it possible to see something like "Who's online?" with a detailed list of who & what they're looking?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Moderation / Time / etc

GregChapman
1j1 wrote
1) Is it possible to assign to someone a permission to edit other members' posts?  Sorta like making that member a moderator?
You can create a custom user group called "Moderator" (or any other name of your choosing) and give members of that group the permissions you  wish, but include

Move
Manage_pinned_topics
Manage_locked_topics

There is no specific permission to delete posts but Administrators have that right. Instead you should create a "Moderated Posts" sub-forum (Call it what you will) This sub-forum should have the "View" permission removed from it for all but Administrators and Moderators. Your Moderators will then be able to hide suspect posts by moving them to your "Moderated Posts" area. You can then uphold their decision or return them to the original forum.

Only Administrators can be granted the permission "Edit_all", as it is considered bad practice to edit other people's posts. Always bear in mind that subscribers to your forum will have received an exact copy of the original post and any subscriber could potentially re-post the offending message in full. (Where does it stop? Correcting people's spelling and grammar? You risk creating the opportunity for flame wars unless a very delicate touch is used. You risk moderating arguments between your moderators and your users.)

If you must edit posts the recommended approach is to Reply to the message and type "The following is an edited version of the original posters message" giving reasons for editing it - then quote the original message edited as appropriate. Once having posted the reply, your moderator can move the original message to your moderated posts sub-forum. Again this allows you to reinstate the original message, if necessary, and provides a copy of the original should you ever require it.
2) Is it possible for forum members to select the forum time according to timezones they live in?
This happens automatically. The time shown for a message depends on your computer. The computer's local time is used. If you are posting in Germany and someone in the USA responds in minutes that reply will show as being posted a few minutes later, but the time shown for those messages in the USA will be many hours different to the time you see.
3) Is it somehow possible to automatically show like "Edited by...  on..." at the bottom of the post if it was edited?
See above. Use "Reply"!
4) Is it possible to see something like "Who's online?"
That is indicated by a small green "ball" on their avatar.
with a detailed list of who & what they're looking?
You can click on their avatar or username to be taken to a screen that allows you to post an email to them and see a complete history of all their posts.
1j1

Re: Moderation / Time / etc

1j1
This post was updated on .
Hello, Greg!  Thanks for taking a time in replying - I'm very much obliged!

Re 2) But I noticed that when I just posted a reply on my forum it says it was done at 20:41 but the correct time for me was 21:41. How to fix it then?

Re 4) I meant it as a some list where it's displayed in live action who, when, where, doing what - something like on Forumotion or SMF forums etc.

___________________

I see banning a user doesn't help when he can just go and register on forum again. But is there any way that if I ban someone, he won't be able to come back under a different name & act like he's a different guy? Or is it somehow possible to identify that the new user is actually a banned one?  For example on SMF it was possible by seeing & comparing IP's. But how here?

Is it somehow possible to disable the option of changing own username?  Because otherwise it might be hard to know who is who.

Also, any way to customize the Profile - like adding location, age, interests, etc. ?

Re: Moderation / Time / etc

GregChapman
Hi ,
1j1 wrote
Re 2) But I noticed that when I just posted a reply on my forum it says it was done at 20:41 but the correct time for me was 21:41. How to fix it then?
That suggests that your computer is not set to the right time zone or to adjust for daylight saving time properly. Check those two settings.
Re 4) I meant it as a some list where it's displayed in live action who, when, where, doing what - something like on Forumotion or SMF forums etc.
That feature is not available on Nabble by default, but I recall that user Harvey44 has had something similar added to his forum by paying for Premium Support. Check out that area.
I see banning a user doesn't help when he can just go and register on forum again. But is there any way that if I ban someone, he won't be able to come back under a different name & act like he's a different guy?
No! If you are plagued with that problem that you need to use the "Member" group and manually add trusted users to that group and remove the "Create_topic" and "Reply" permissions from "Registered" users.
on SMF it was possible by seeing & comparing IP's.
You need to use external tools to do that with a Nabble forum.
Is it somehow possible to disable the option of changing own username?  Because otherwise it might be hard to know who is who.
Also, any way to customize the Profile - like adding location, age, interests, etc. ?

You'll need to edit the NAML code to add these facilities. I recall that there have been topics on both of these in the last two or three months. Try this forum's search facility.