Mix between "Category" and "news"

Jose - russianforfree.com

Hi everyone,

I've been playing a bit with NAML, but truth is I'm not very good handling code.

I have a regular forum and I love the option when you see the first lines of each topic (if you change your application to "new" or "category" you can see it). With this preview you can understand what the topic is about without opening it.

I like how "news" looks like, but answering to a topic doesn't make the topic go up in the list (logical, because the "news" type is to create a news paper.
I like how "category" looks like (you have a preview of each topic) and when you answer to a topic, it goes up in the list.

But with "category" you don't have the "new topic" button and you can't limit the number of topic per page (if you apply "category" to a subforum with 50 topics, they all appear in on page. Also, with "category" you can't see who created a topic.

So, is there a way to have "category" with this modifications?
- Button "new topic"
- Name of the person that created each topic
- Limit the number of topics per page

If anyone can help, that'd be great
Thanks!
Jose

Re: Mix between "Category" and "news"

Jose - russianforfree.com

I made the new topic button appear:
      <n.new_topic_action_link/>

Now I need limiting the number of topics per page and (not so important) show the name of the topic's author.

Any suggestion?

Re: Mix between "Category" and "news"

Peter <Nabble>
Try changing the length attribute on category_table macro.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Mix between "Category" and "news"

Jose - russianforfree.com
Peter <Nabble> wrote
Try changing the length attribute on category_table macro.

Hi Peter. Thanks for writing.

When I select "category" as my app type, I find this in "category_table"
            <n.category_table.>
                <n.subcategories_column/>
                <n.topic_count_column width="5em"/>
                <n.post_count_column width="5em"/>
                <n.last_post_column/>
            </n.category_table.>

Should I write here some "length" attribute? How?

If I switch my app type to "forum" I have this:
<macro name="forum_topics_per_page"> 35</macro>

I understand that changing that "35" I change the number of topic per page. But for category, I have tried with
<macro name="<b>category_topics_per_page">15</macro> and it doesn't work.

Sorry, but my knowledge of code seems limited enough, not to be able to understand what to do.

On the other hand, going to option --> application --> change appearance, and from there clicking "preferences" you have to topic per page option, where you can change the topic per page for everything (forum, gallery, mixed, blog and newspaper) but "category".

A bit of help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jose

Jose

Do you see a link on <n.category_table>? It will lead you to category_table where you will find a length.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Mix between "Category" and "news"

Jose - russianforfree.com
Awesome Peter, thanks.
You see, I just didn't understand that those bits where clickable (despite being blue and underlined... silly me).

*Just one thing to point out.  When you reach the last topic of the list in "category" you see the link "view more". But, instead of sending you to a second page of results under category, the layout turns into a "topic view" view. Maybe that's the reason why the default number of topics in "category" is 80.

Thanks for you help Peter! Setting a forum in "category" turns it into a forum with 5 lines preview that makes a difference. That's a pretty cool feature for those who want to see every topic at a glance. Congratulations for you work.

Jose

Re: Mix between "Category" and "news"

Peter <Nabble>
I'm glad you liked it.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.