Mirror my Yahoogroup to Nabble?

Coleen_Astalos
I'm reading this help file: http://n5.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=30 and have questions...

It looks like I can have messages from my existing yahoogroup be sent to Nabble to create the information on on Nabble - allowing some members to participate via the nabble page and some members to participate via the yahoogroup.  Am I reading that right?

I currently have only a forum set up on Nabble. Is that where the exiting yahoogroups data will go?  Or will it be somewhere else (sorry for such newbie questions).

I'm thinking this might be a way to transition from the yahoogroup we currently use to Nabble allow us to continue to use the yahoogroup but be saving the data on nabble.  Say do this for 3 months, so when we cut over to nabble it's not totally empty and has the last 3 months of data that was shared via the yahoogroup.

Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Mirror my Yahoogroup to Nabble?

Pedro
Please, read this: http://n5.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=46
Here two of many lists we have archived:
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/

You can archive your group in nabble so that your users can post via nabble interface or your yahoo group. In addition to it, new users can get to your group by your nabble site.

Re: Mirror my Yahoogroup to Nabble?

Coleen_Astalos
Please be patient with me, I'm really confused by all of this.  So let's start with the instructions you provided...

I'm not ready to REPLACE my existing Yahoogroup yet, just take the posts being submitted to the yahoogroup address and add it to my Nabble forum.  So I'm unsure which of these 3 steps you referred me to that I should be doing...

2. Subscribe all existing members to Nabble. You can do this by clicking on Options > Users > Forum subscribers and then on "Add Subscribers".

3. The last step is to hide the mailing list archive from users. You can find this option in the Options > Application > Mailing list archive settings screen. When you finish this option, your forum will look like a normal forum. Basically, users won't see a prompt that asks them to subscribe to the mailing list when they post a message. But the mailing list is not disabled at all and posts will be silently forwarded to the mailing list. When you feel that the mailing list is no longer needed, you can remove it completely in the "Mailing list archive settings" screen.
I'm thinking I need to do just part of Step 1 (adding the nabble archive address to my yahoogroup) and possibly Step 3 (although since my users on on Nabble yet - perhaps that can wait).

In Step 1.  I think what I need to do is add some nabble address to my Yahoogroups as a member (so the emails generated by members on the Yahoogroup make it to the nabble mailing list).  But it's unclear to me what that email addreass should be?  My forum address is http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com

Yahoo requires verification of ownership of an email address by clicking on a link in an email they send to the email address - how will I be able to do that?  Where will I see the emails sent to whatever email address I shoudl be adding to my yahoogroup?

Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Mirror my Yahoogroup to Nabble?

Pedro
You can test it in a sub forum inside your app. Go to Options -> Mailing List Archive Settings, after fill the form out, save it and you will see further instructions (Subscription Instructions).
There you will have the option to send the request for your list approval. You will see the list email address if you opt to subscribe the list manually.
Try to get to this instructions and let me know if you have any issues.

Re: Mirror my Yahoogroup to Nabble?

Coleen_Astalos
Thanks.  I think I've got it set up now.
Coleen