Migrating from yahoogroups to nabble

Christian Boulanger
Hello,

I would like to migrate a mailing list with 150+ users from yahoogroups to nabble. I have two questions:

1) In the FAQ it says that there was a feature where I could import users under "Options", but this does not show up for me.

2) Ideally, I would of course like to take all the previous mailing list archive to nabble. I assume that there is no way to get my data out of yahoogroups in a decent format, but even if there was, I doubt that it could be imported into nabble. Or is there some "magic" solution?

Thanks,

Christian

Re: Migrating from yahoogroups to nabble

Hugo <Nabble>
There are two scenarios:

(1) If you want to keep the original mailing list working (yahoogroups), then you can simply create a forum archive for it. Users wouldn't need to change anything and could continue to use the mailing list as always, but would also have the option to post through the forum interface.

(2) If you want to get rid of the yahoogroups mailing list, then first you have to create a forum at Nabble and let your friends know about it. You can click on "Options > Users > Manage subscribers" to see who is subscribed and also invite more people. When everybody is ready at Nabble, then you can shut down the old list and use the forum normally.

Please check if you can export your yahoogroups list into a mbox file. We can import this file and have all old messages archived here.

Please let me know if you have more questions, comments or concerns.
Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Migrating from yahoogroups to nabble

Christian Boulanger
Hi Hugo,

thanks for your info, to which I only respond now. I have the problem
that I, c(dot)boulanger(at)rechtswirklichkeit(dot)de,  do not longer
seem to be the owner of the group I created
(Netzwerk-Recht-und-Gesellschaft-f2509109). When I click on my public
profile, it says "Anonymous/Unregistered user), and I cannot edit the
Group nor manage subscribers. Can this be changed?

Thanks,

Christian

Hugo <Nabble> (via Nabble) <Hugo <Nabble> schrieb:

> There are two scenarios:
>
> (1) If you want to keep the original mailing list working
> (yahoogroups), then you can simply create a forum archive for it.
> Users wouldn't need to change anything and could continue to use the
> mailing list as always, but would also have the option to post through
> the forum interface.
>
> (2) If you want to get rid of the yahoogroups mailing list, then first
> you have to create a forum at Nabble and let your friends know about
> it. You can click on "Options > Users > Manage subscribers" to see who
> is subscribed and also invite more people. When everybody is ready at
> Nabble, then you can shut down the old list and use the forum normally.
>
> Please check if you can export your yahoogroups list into a mbox file.
> We can import this file and have all old messages archived here.
>
> Please let me know if you have more questions, comments or concerns.
> Regards,
> Hugo Teixeira
> Nabble.com

> This email is a reply to your post @
> http://n2.nabble.com/Migrating-from-yahoogroups-to-nabble-tp2509265p2510263.html
> You can reply by email or by visting the link above.

Re: Migrating from yahoogroups to nabble

Will <Nabble>
Administrator