Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

Camo
Why cant we? Why does it have to be the entire forum?
Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

mywaytoo
Have you tried using... More > Move post > Enter permalink of new parent post or forum, or leave blank to make it an independent topic...?
Anne

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

GregChapman
I wonder if Camo meant "migrate single posts"?

It's a while since I tried it but I recall that the "move post" option does also take all replies with it as well.

Perhaps what we need is a "Copy Post" option, that doesn't take the replies with it?

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

Peter <Nabble>
If you want to move a single post, all you have to do is to move the post and then move it's immediate reply back to the original topic.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Surely to leave / return a reply would not make sense without the original comment?
Anne

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
Surely to leave / return a reply would not make sense without the original comment?
Indeed! That's why I suggested a "Copy" option. However, I recognise it's not as simple as adding an option to the menu as there probably needs to be a specific permission facility added as well.

In the meantime, rather than Peter's suggestion, I reckon that in many cases, (there's an issue if someone else's post is being "copied", as it would change the indicated author) creating a reply with a full quote of the original and immediately moving that would be a better option. In most circumstances you would probably want to lock the "copied" post as well, or you'd have multiple identical threads appearing too and that's always confusing.

Neither Peter or my suggestion is perfect. I think Camo has a point, if his request was for a single post migrate facility.

I can see a need to move a whole topic, original and its comments, when for example you have opened up another forum due to demand.
Anne

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

Camo
Indeed it was! I tried to move a single topic from one forum to another, a separate application, and it was only going to allow me to migrate everything (atleast I thought so from the wording) So I didnt do it.
It would be nice to be able to migrate both a single post and/or a single topic, across applications, not just across from parent to subform.
Im having people posting storys intended for one forum in my classifieds aswell. The best I can do Is what I have, create a new subforum of the classifieds as an archive and migrate them there. But they still appear in the feed, is there a way to prevent that?

Anne yes, Ive opened up another forum "Classifieds" to meet demand, Nabble is so nicely intergrated, it ought to be possible. Im quite impressed with what ive learned so far.
Also, The garbage man script is chasing me, I got an email saying its deleted post," here they are so you can save them "etc, with a text file of one word from a topic that is now missing. Im not sure how many posts might be gone or how to save them now. Or is this reporting user deleted posts?
I asked for a pruning feature but it should be user controlled.
Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

Camo
This post was updated on .
Example, When attempting to migrate (ONLY THIS TOPIC) from one forum to another unrelated forum,
I got this message, which I have construed as meaning: I have to migrate the entire original forum, lock, stock and two smoking barrels to ther new parent. ? I dont want that, I just want to send this single topic and its related replies oNly.

Albino Tiger Python without eyes – Parent Options
Export Confirmation

You have requested the following URL to be the new parent of "Albino Tiger Python without eyes":
http://camo-s-reptiles-forum.1047529.n5.nabble.com/General-Chat-f4308079.html
This new parent is not related to Albino Tiger Python without eyes, so Nabble must migrate the contents of your forum to that new location. You should understand that:
This change may not happen immediately.
The system will have to move post by post to the new location and this may take hours (or even days) to finish depending on the size of the moved elements. You will be notified by email when the process is complete.
All links to the moved elements will change (including links to posts and replies).
Previous links will NOT work anymore. Users should update their links if they want to visit those pages again in the future.
Some users accounts may not be moved.
The system will move posts and all associated user accounts to the new destination. Non-related users accounts will not be moved.
Do you really want to start the export process for Albino Tiger Python without eyes?
Whats the point of interconnected accounts if your limited like that? I have to wear silly cookie issues as it is, due this 'interconnectedness', so why not make full interconnectedness instead of this pseudo job?
All nabble accounts under the same Ip address aka 'ME' should be connected together seemlessly, same login/out (its the same cookie anyway) and shared database access between separate applications.

Perhaps what we need is a "Copy Post" option, that doesn't take the replies with it?
I would want to send its replies with it, as myway said, an orphan post is confusing.
Yes absolutely, A 'Clone Topic/post' option and with the shadow option, aka, Leave links to the topic in the original forum or not. Or copy to new location and delete from the original forum, leaving no shadow (links)

We cant copy for now and maybe we can consider that in the future. Now tell me, in which circumstances do you think it would be appropriate to clone a topic? won't people have to discuss it in two different places? Wouldn't that be a mess?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

Camo
No, the idea was you clone it, send/post it to 'X', then delete its instance at 'Y'

Re Circumstances, I have people posting discussion topics in my classifieds which are explicetly to advertise only. I feel it would be rude to just delete the topic, there is not even a 'notify and send copy to author'
feature that could be added to delete function for admins.
Therefor my only choice has been to manually re-create a copy of the original post, and all its replys, and post to the destination, then delete the original and personally email the author about the change, Its exhausting, I cant do that with potentially hundreds of posts.
These are two seperate Nabble Applications Joined by a thirdparty cookie but not a database, so I cant send/Migrate a single topic accross my applications. Given how well Nabble is put together, That dosent make sense.

The cloning idea would be a step toward it. Nobody wants the confusion of multiple copies of the same topic.

Have you tried to move the topic to another forum? I think you will be able to.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

Camo
Im not gonna make a big confusing mess because you Thought Id be able to Peter,
Have you actually used your own software? Does anybody actually know how it works?
Beginning to get frustrated with lack of solid documentation, You want to be 'Out There', then let users know what your stuff does!
PLease!
Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles

Re: Migrate single topics from one forum to another?

Peter <Nabble>
I'm sorry for the misinterpretation. It is possible. Its just that since you are feeling so frustrated I thought you were feeling like the support is not compensating for the lack of documentation so I thought you might want to try doing it yourself to get your answers faster.
I'm sorry if you felt worse with my answer, really.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.