Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

Ian

Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

Ian
Nabble

Can you please migrate my forum from the Nabble 1 software to Nabble 2?  The forum is Greyhound Rescue North East and id is 19009.  I want to be able to embed the forum within our website, www.greyhoundrescue.net.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

Hugo <Nabble>
Migrations should start in a few weeks. We are finishing some details that prevent us from migrating at this point. We will let you know when we are ready to migrate it.
i8n

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

i8n
Thanks Hugo.  Will it be possible to merge forums once migrated?  I'm thinking about starting a new one within our website and then migrating the old posts over etc. when you are in a position to begin the migration.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

Hugo <Nabble>
Yes, we already have the merge feature on n2. So you will be able to merge them without problems.
i8n

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

i8n
Thanks Hugo.

Hi Ian, Nabble is ready to migrate forums from Nabble1 to Nabble2. Please let me know if I can migrate your forum now.
i8n

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

i8n
Hugo, please go ahead.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

Hugo <Nabble>
The forum has been successfully migrated:
http://n4.nabble.com/Greyhound-Rescue-North-East-f23072.html
i8n

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

i8n
Hugo, I can see the migrated forum ok.  However we're having to tell each user to re-register if they registered on the old forum and then subsequently used our new forum.  Also we've all had a bunch of emails come through from all the previous posts we were involved in the old forum.  Not sure if that was expected or not, but its a lot of emails for some!

Ok, question now on trying to merge the two forums we have.

1.  Existing one on Nabble 2 (not migrated) is http://n2.nabble.com/Greyhound-Rescue-North-East-f3561393ef3561393.html
2.  Old one you've now migrated is http://n4.nabble.com/Old-Greyhound-Rescue-North-East-Forum-f77538.html

What I'd like to do is to move the forum on n4 (migrated one in point 2 above) to a sub forum within our new forum site on n2 (point 1 above).  I figured I could do this by:

a.  Create a new sub-forum in our site: http://n2.nabble.com/Old-Greyhound-Rescue-North-East-Forum-Posts-f3799352ef3561393.html
b.  Then set the parent forum of our migrated forum to that URL

However, I can't seem to get the migrated forum "into" the sub-forum I created for it.  Note that the n2 forum is embedded within our website.

Any thoughts on this please (if my explanation is clear)

Thanks

Ian

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

Hugo <Nabble>
i8n wrote
However we're having to tell each user to re-register if they registered on the old forum and then subsequently used our new forum.
You are right and people must re-register in the new system. We don't move the login information because people must realize that they are using a different system, with different features and navigation. Sorry for that inconvenience.
i8n wrote
Also we've all had a bunch of emails come through from all the previous posts we were involved in the old forum.  Not sure if that was expected or not, but its a lot of emails for some!
This is very strange and I apologize again. I sort of imagine what could cause this and I will check in the code. Thanks for reporting this.
i8n wrote

I see the problem now. Each forum is in a different machine and cannot be placed together and merged. So the solution would be to migrate the old forum from n4 to n2. If you agree, I can migrate it again after fixing the bug above related to emails. Please let me know if we can move it to n2 after fixing the bug.
i8n

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

i8n
Thanks for the considered response Hugo.

Regarding merging the old forum with the new one, certainly when I tried that I did get a message saying that it couldn't be done as they were on different servers (n4 as opposed to n2), so that seems to tie in with what you are saying.

Certainly, as long as users won't have to re-register (presumably not as they'll have to do this anyway) and you can make sure all the emails don't appear, then yes please can you migrate our old forum from n4 onto the n2 server.

This would allow me to keep all our old messages etc. within our new forum.

Thanks once again for providing this facility, its really appreciated by users of our site and has helped enormously to foster a sense of community for our greyhound rescue.

Ian

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Ian, I moved the old forum to n2 and merged it with your current forum. So everything is fine now, see:
http://n2.nabble.com/Greyhound-Rescue-North-East-f3561393.html

Note that I changed the old forum to read-only (Options > Users > Who can view & post?), where only members (in this case you) can post. This will prevent users from posting in that forum.
i8n

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

i8n
Hugo, thanks for doing that, we can now see all our old posts.

Please be aware though that we did all get all of the old emails alerting us to posts in the old forum again - as per the original migration, several hundred for some people.

That would be worth looking at again as it wasn't fixed I'm afraid.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Migrate forum from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2

Hugo <Nabble>
Ian, I am so sorry for that inconvenience. We just realized the problem as we migrated another forum. The team committed a fix, but we will make several tests before migrating again. Thanks for reporting it and sorry for that. Please let me know if I can do anything to minimize the problem.