Maximum File Sizes

GregChapman
The last report (from Hugo) on the maximum file sizes for upload were:

Images: 1Mb
Files: 5Mb

Someone has recently challenged the FAQ I post on several of my forums, saying they find no issue with uploading a 6Mb file as an image.

I have just tried it and been able to upload a 5.7Mb file as an image without problem but the same file was reported as too large when uploaded as a file.

What are the current limits on image and file uploads?

Re: Maximum File Sizes

Israel <Nabble>
Hi Greg,
The file sizes are correct.
Can you please try to upload an image with bigger size with the "none" option selected?

Regards,
Israel

Re: Maximum File Sizes

To clarify my earlier post...
GregChapman wrote
Someone has recently challenged the FAQ I post on several of my forums, saying they find no issue with uploading a 6Mb file as an image.

I have just tried it and been able to upload a 5.7Mb file as an image without problem but the same file was reported as too large when uploaded as a file.
Things have changed since I wrote my FAQ, or I got things wrong at the time.

I believe it used to be that a large file uploaded as an image  would simply go into a black hole with no warning - not helped by any form of progress bar or other feedback to the user. There's still no progress bar but with faster internet connections, for most, that is less of a problem.

When I tried large image uploads last week I found that you get a warning message on completion of upload advising you to try again and to use the dialogue's resize option. That is acceptable and why I said "without problem" as you longer have to resize the file to less than 1Mb before attempting upload and, presumably, it accepts files significantly larger than 5Mb.

This is more like what has always been the case with file uploads where there was a warning the file was too large to be accepted by Nabble. What I can't recall at the moment is whether the warning for file upload comes earlier in the process or whether it specifies the maximum acceptable size in the warning.