Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

Epie
Hey guys,

I tried making a part of my forum accessible for unregistered users, but have had no success so far. How do I make my forum viewable for unregistered users? I have already set up the right permissions for my subforums, but now I need to make it able for unregistered users to view my forum to begin with.

Many thanks in advance and thanks for reading, Epie

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

GregChapman
The default settings allow "anyone" both to post and view a Nabble forum. Just make sure that those in the "anyone" group have the "View" permission set.

You need to be aware that at the top level you can either accept the default permission or select "Custom" and change it. At lower levels in the forum the default setting is to "Inherit" any setting from the parent forum. Again, you can choose a "Modified" setting, that over-rides the inherited one.

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

Epie
Thanks for the help, I figured that part out now thanks to you.

Now I'm trying to HIDE certain subforums from unregistered users. Is it possible to keep subforums from being seen at all(not just being denied access) by unregistered members or certain usergroups?

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

Epie
Does anyone have an idea to partially hide my forums? I want to hide certain subforums from unregistered users, but in the parent directory I can only set people either to view everything or nothing and for some reason if I try to overwrite that by trying to hide certain subforums by messing with those permissions, it still doesn't hide those subforums.

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

Pedro
Hi Epie ,
 could you give me your forum's address?

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

Epie
Hello,

it's http://dignitas.2312725.n4.nabble.com/  Currently all subforums are viewable by unregistered members.

I'd like unregistered and registered members only to be able to see "News & Rules" and "Applications." The remaining subforums should only be able to be seen by the ranks "Trialists, Members" and "Administrators."

Many thanks for reading and for looking into my questions, Epie

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

GregChapman
You seem to have figured it out.

Can you confirm that all is as you want it now?

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

Epie
Actually I'm still struggling with one final thing. I got my forum to work in the sense that unregistered members can't access the forums I don't want them to.

But what I'm also trying to do is that unregistered members are ònly able to see the 2 subforums "News & Rules" and "Applications." I want them not even knowing of the existance of the other subforums, untill they register and get bumped to "Trialist" or "Member."

I want all subforums éxcept for "News & Rules" and "Applications" to be invisible for unregistered users.

Thanks for your continued support

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

GregChapman
I've never tried to do that with a "Board" application, but I have done it with a "Mixed" and the page where you turn on the feature suggests it will work with any app.

At your top level app go to OPTIONS > APPLICATION > EXTRAS & ADD-ONS > CONTENT > SMART APPLICATION PAGES and place a mark in the box. This should prevent any sub-app being visible to those without the appropriate permissions.

Re: Making part of my forum public for unregistered users

Epie
Hey,

I'd like to thank you for your continued support, I managed to fix it thanks to your tips.

Once again, many thanks! Epie