Make "new topic" posts go under a specific sub-forum

Make "new topic" posts go under a specific sub-forum

Dolphinshout
Hi, I am working on installing a forum on my site. I've been having problems with the new topic button above the forum posts and sub-forums. Whenever someone clicks on that button then it creates a new sub-forum called "Topics" and I have to manually move it to another forum. Is there a way to make the "new topic" button go to a specific sub-forum instead of creating a new one called "topics"?

If there isn't a way to do that then is there a way to just delete that new topic button at the top?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Make "new topic" posts go under a specific sub-forum

Dolphinshout
Also, here's the link to the site if that helps:
http://www.dolphinshout.com/p/forums.html

Re: Make "new topic" posts go under a specific sub-forum

GregChapman
The link did help! It showed that you have a MIXED application at the top level and clearly don't want people posting at the top level.

You should remove the "Create_topic" and "Reply" permissions for all groups - including "Administrators" from the top level. You then need to add those permissions on each and every sub-forum where you do want members of specific groups to post or reply.

The effect of these two changes will be that when someone clicks the general "New Topic" link they will be presented with a list of sub-forums in which they have permission to post and they will have to select one before they see the message composition screen.

Be aware that forum administrators can find they get spam posters if they allow "Anyone" to post, so you might find it prudent only to allow "Registered" users to post and reply, removing the "Create_topic" and "Reply" permissions from "Anyone".

(As a personal preference I would rename your first sub-forum to something like "Introduce Yourself". Because the tool-tip that appears when you hover over a sub-forum "New Topic" link echoes the name of the sub-forum, the question marks and down arrows you currently have, look a little out of place.)

Re: how to trade stocks

rosebud413
hello im sorry for commenting on ur topic but is one one here to help admin wise i have been waiting over 2 weeks for soemone to help me with a problem and no response yet thank u

How forum link building

alpacino guevara
I want to know what are the limits forum link building? Duqy

Re: How forum link building

Almost none, if you are prepared to edit the NAML macros that drive a Nabble forum.

Please post under a new topic and ask a specific question.

EDIT: Oops! I misread your post, but I'm still not sure what you mean. In any case your post is not a reply to the original message. You'd still be better to re-phrase your question and post it under a new topic.