Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
Hello,

This affects postings from me and other users. I am still subscribed, and direct postings to the mailing list get through to the list and forum, so it seems the mailing list is working as well. I also checked for pending posts in mailman - there are none.

This seems to be an issue on your end - Can you please have a look and/or tell me how to debug this further on my side?

Best,

Stefan.

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Hugo <Nabble>
We are investigating the problem.
Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience.

Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

The problem seems to be fixed. Do you confirm?

On 8. Aug 2009, at 0:07, Hugo (via Nabble) wrote:

> The problem seems to be fixed. Do you confirm?

Yes, I just received an email from the forum.

Best,

Stefan.
--
http://www.eyescale.ch
http://www.equalizergraphics.com

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
The problem reappeared about a week ago. Can you have a look?

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Hugo <Nabble>
Other mailing list archives are working fine at Nabble, so we have to understand what is going on with this specific list.
Did you try sending an email to the list to see if it gets through?
If the test email works, then we have to check if Nabble is still subscribed to the list. You can check this by trying to subscribe again:

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
> Did you try sending an email to the list to see if it gets through?

The mailing list is accepting messages. We've had this problem in July already, and you fixed it on your end.

> we have to check if Nabble is still subscribed to the list

I've just verified that the lists+XXX@n2.nabble.com address is still subscribed.

Best,

Stefan.

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Hugo <Nabble>
I think you are wrong. The last message in the mailing list archive is from 17 September, see:
http://www.equalizergraphics.com/pipermail/eq-dev/2009-September/thread.html

Other messages didn't get through. So I believe the problem is in the mailing list server.
Please send a message to the mailing list (using normal email) and let me know if the archive gets updated.
Note that it doesn't have an October line here:
http://www.equalizergraphics.com/pipermail/eq-dev/

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
It just so happens that nobody was sending messages to the list during that period. I had verified that the delivery works, since a lot of spammers also try to post to the list.

Coincidentally, there was a new post tonight, which cam in through to the list, and then to the forum.

Best,

Stefan.

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
I am still having the issue, and it is not the mailing list, as you suggested.

What can we do about it? This is frankly getting to the point where I have to look for another solution, since I don't know what I can do to resolve it.

Best,

Stefan.

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Stefan, why do you think the problem is not in the mailing list? Nabble is archiving correctly all emails that travel through the list. So either the mailing list is rejecting emails sent by the Nabble server or it has some other strange problem. Do you have access to the logs of your server? Maybe you could look into it and see if you can find some helpful information.

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
The mailing list is accepting postings from all other users, and it is sending messages to Nabble. I however see no incoming messages at all from Nabble, so I don't know what else to do. We used to have the same problem in the past, which you fixed on Aug 8.

I have access to the server logs. The indicated address 'lists+1214140302304-7405@n2.nabble.com' is subscribed to the list, and it used to deliver messages from the forum:

post.1:Sep 07 18:11:46 2009 (6874) post to eq-dev from XXX, size=2776, message-id=<1252339898080-3598223.post@n2.nabble.com>, success

This one was the last. I haven't found any other mentioning or error wrt nabble in the mailman or exim logs. What else can I do?

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Graham Perrin
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Nabble is archiving correctly all emails that travel through the list.
I read this alongside <http://n2.nabble.com/-tp3849241p3849241.html>.
Could misplacement/mis-threading be an issue?

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

I will talk to other members of the team and look for solutions. Note that the "lists+..." address is used just to listen to the mailing list messages. When a user posts a message in the forum, we send an email to the mailing list on the user's behalf (with the same email he/she used to register).

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Hi Stefan, it seems to be a bad configuration of your DNS server. When Nabble tries to send a message to the mailing list address, we get the following error:

This problem is listed here: http://www.intodns.com/equalizergraphics.com
So you should fix your MX record so that emails can be correctly handled.

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
Hmm, I can't confirm this. Why can't your MX not find us?

eile% nslookup
> set type=mx
> equalizergraphics.com
Server:         157.26.73.41
Address:        157.26.73.41#53

Non-authoritative answer:
equalizergraphics.com   mail exchanger = 50 80.74.159.174.

> ^D
eile% host 80.74.159.174
174.159.74.80.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer eyescale.ch.
eile% ping 80.74.159.174
PING 80.74.159.174 (80.74.159.174): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 80.74.159.174: icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=4.900 ms

eile% telnet 80.74.159.174 smtp
Trying 80.74.159.174...
Connected to eyescale.ch.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 eyescale.ch ESMTP Exim 4.63 Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:10:54 +0200
HELO localhost
250 eyescale.ch Hello localhost [157.26.73.104]

It seems that your MX record is an IP address, which is not ok per the RFCs and you should change them. This is reported by http://www.intodns.com/equalizergraphics.com.
Have you tried to fix that configuration?

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
Thank you!

I wasn't aware of this configuration error. I have fixed it now, I guess it will take some time before the delivery works again.

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Hugo,

I changed the DNS configuration as you advised. However the posts are still pending and I still get 'your post is pending' emails. Are they going to be delivered, or are they lost? Is my configuration ok now?

Re: Mailing List delivery stopped working around Jul 21

Hugo <Nabble>
Your configuration seems to be ok now. I guess you should make a new post in the forum and check that it travels through the list. Old pending posts are not sent to the mailing list again. So you should either remove them or let them pending forever (the pending emails will stop after 3 days). Please let me know if you have questions, comments or concerns.