Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

kulath
I have tried to resubscribe Nabble to a sourceforge mailing list following the instructions here:
http://support.nabble.com/New-posts-are-not-displaying-tp7598571p7598616.html

"to resubscribe, go to the forum homepage, on the "options" drop down, select "application", then go to "mailing list archive setting". then click on "subscription instructions" and follow one of the instruction there. "

I have tried Subscription Options "B" and "C", but in neither case is the "confirmation email" forwarded to my email address.

Help please.

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

haozwang<Nabble>
Out of curiosity, are you using yahoo groups?

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

kulath
haozwang<Nabble> wrote
Out of curiosity, are you using yahoo groups?
No, the mailing list is a sourceforge mailing list.

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

kulath
I am doing: "You can go to the mailing list homepage (http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users/) and subscribe lists+1270791131820-1807095@n4.nabble.com to the list. The confirmation email will be forwarded to your email address as soon as it is received by Nabble.com. You will have to follow the instructions in that email to confirm this request. "

I assume that Nabble will then forward this to my own email address, but that is not happening.

Am I doing something wrong, or is Nabble just not doing the forwarding properly??

Tim.

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

haozwang<Nabble>
what is your forum link?

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

GregChapman
Good question! It's really annoying that we've lost the search facility from:
http://www.nabble.com/free-apps/page1.html

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

kulath
haozwang<Nabble> wrote
what is your forum link?
I am doing: "You can go to the mailing list homepage (http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users/) and subscribe lists+1270791131820-1807095@n4.nabble.com to the list. The confirmation email will be forwarded to your email address as soon as it is received by Nabble.com. You will have to follow the instructions in that email to confirm this request. "

I assume that Nabble will then forward this to my own email address, but that is not happening.

Not sure what you mean by forum link, but the Nabble forum is gramps-user:
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

I also don't receive the password reminder when I request one. These things don't appear in the Nabble forum, so Nabble is detecting them, just not forwarding them on to me.

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

GregChapman
kulath wrote
haozwang<Nabble> wrote
what is your forum link?
Not sure what you mean by forum link, but the Nabble forum is gramps-user:
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
That is the URL to which haozwang<Nabble> referred.

I don't maintain any mail list archives on the Nabble platform so am not familiar with all of a Nabble forum's  special mail list settings however, this question puzzles me:
I also don't receive the password reminder when I request one. These things don't appear in the Nabble forum
Nabble is a simple subscriber to the Sourceforge mail list. Nothing more! Once subscribed it redirects any posts made to the mail list to the appropriate Nabble forum and posts them there. However, a password request is not a mail list post to be circulated to all subscribers, so why would you expect private administrative emails to appear on the forum?
so Nabble is detecting them, just not forwarding them on to me.
I'm not clear why you say "Nabble is detecting them" but I do wonder if non-receipt of password reminders is because Sourceforge thinks that Hugo<Nabble> is the subscriber, as Hugo subscribed the the archive to the list, and the password reminders are going to him?

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

kulath
Why do you think Hugo subscribed the archive to the list? Where on the Website is the information about this?

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

GregChapman
I don't know.

On your list's home page you see that Hugo created the archive. Click on the link that takes you to his profile page and you see that he did the bare minimum to achieve that in 2005. He doesn't seem to have had a personal interest in the list as he never posted to it.

This all took place a while before I discovered Nabble. but by monitoring this forum over the last few years I know that he got Nabble to subscribe to quite a number of mail lists (many at sourceforge) and that from time to time people have been coming forward asking to be able to take control of the archive of their list. I'm guessing you're one of those and this is why you are now listed as an Administrator of your list.

kulath, you are now the archive owner, try the resubscribe again

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

kulath
Haozwang, Thanks for that, I have got at least one message from them.

Could you please make me owner of the rest of the forums in that group, so I can resubscribe them all, namely:

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-Dev-f1791083.html
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/gramps-bugs-f1814997.html
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/gramps-announce-f1818973.html
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-Windows-f1806612.html

Thanks,
Tim.

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

haozwang<Nabble>
done

Re: Mailing List Confirmation emails not being forwarded to my email address

kulath
GregChapman wrote
I don't know.

On your list's home page you see that Hugo created the archive. Click on the link that takes you to his profile page and you see that he did the bare minimum to achieve that in 2005. He doesn't seem to have had a personal interest in the list as he never posted to it.

This all took place a while before I discovered Nabble. but by monitoring this forum over the last few years I know that he got Nabble to subscribe to quite a number of mail lists (many at sourceforge) and that from time to time people have been coming forward asking to be able to take control of the archive of their list. I'm guessing you're one of those and this is why you are now listed as an Administrator of your list.

Greg,

I appreciate your efforts to help Nabble users, especially as there is not really all that much official information about how it all works. I am sending this so that you have some more information, all the better to help people in future.

There seems to be a difference between the Creator of a Nabble archive and the Owner and Administrators. I was an Administrator of the Gramps forum http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/ and all its sub-forums. When I tried to resubscribe the Nabble sub-forums archives to the Sourceforge mailing list that was being archived, I did not receive the admin emails from Sourceforge. The Nabble admins then made me the 'owner' of all the forums, and now I receive the admin emails from Sourceforge. Making me the 'owner' has not changed the 'Creator' at the foot of Nabble pages. Indeed, there does not seem to be any way to discover who the owner is.

So, making me an 'Administrator' (which was done a long time ago so that I could remove spam) did not make me the 'Owner'. And making me the 'Owner' did not make me the 'Creator'.

Presumably the Sourceforge admin emails went to the previous 'Owner', but of course I don't really know. I tried to contact one of the previous creators (who I presume had been the 'Owner' when they create the archive), but without getting any response. So I am very grateful the the Nabble admins have made me the owner so that I can properly administrate the forums.

regards,
Tim.