Macro: cookie_countries

GregChapman
As new test user of one of my forums complained that the cookie screen that a new user encounters was over intrusive. I have been trying to hunt down the code so that I can change it.

The Extras & Add-ons page suggests that editing the "cookie_countries" macro might be a way to find the required macros. However, that macro can no longer be found.

Can you provide clues on how I might be able to edit things?

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

haozwang<Nabble>
Hi Greg, can you provide a link or a screenshot?

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

GregChapman
The forum I was trying to edit this time is: http://bb4er.2372904.n4.nabble.com/

The macro appears to be missing on multiple servers, certainly n3 and n4.
Although it can be found on forums I have on both the n7 and x6 servers.

I haven't yet investigated whether the missing "cookie_countries" macro also implies that the whole "Cookie Law Compliance Solution" has been removed from forums on the affected servers.

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

GregChapman
Actually, the report of seeing a Cookie compliance screen is interesting as it seems I never checked the "Cookie compliance" box when I created the BB4ER forum - so the form should not be appearing at all.

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

haozwang<Nabble>
can you post the link to the forum where you found the macro?

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

GregChapman
Here are the two where I found the macro:

http://aivuk-forum.33396.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_search_page&query=cookie_countries&search_by=name

http://ruston-reaches.80608.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_search_page&query=cookie_countries&search_by=name

These appear to reveal that the file "cookie_policy.naml" is missing on the n3 and n4 servers as three additional macros are found when I filter for "Macro source contains" and search for "cookie".

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

haozwang<Nabble>
I am asking Franklin about this. however the one of the links you have shown indicate that the macros are not compiled which means that they are not used anywhere though...

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

GregChapman
Mmm! Interesting!

Both forums do have the Privacy and Law option checked, so the facility should be in use. However, both are private and have very stable unchanging memberships.

Is it possible that since some change made at Nabble no new user has visited the forum so the macro not called into use? If this is the case it's more likely that the AIVuk forum has the module compiled as occasionally people do register there in the expectation of gaining access.

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

haozwang<Nabble>
Hi Greg, Franklin would like to see a screen shot of the original problem. You can reproduce it by clearing cookies

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

GregChapman
I seem to have lost the email from the guy who made the comment about the site in which the forum is embedded.

My memory tells me that it was less an issue with the Cookie page as such, but more surprise that it appears in the middle of the site and not when you first encounter the site. That's inevitable, of course, when the embedded forum is served from Nabble servers.

I haven't seen a cookie screen in years but what I had decided I would try to do is reduce the impact of it a little - but I could not find the code.

Since Hugo created it several years ago, at my request in anticipation of the new EU law being enforced, the UK's Data Protection Commissioner has indicated that he only requires something much more brief than the full explanatory document that Hugo produced.

These days all we need in the UK is a notification that cookies are used on a site and a link to a page that shows more information on how the data provided by the cookies are used. Most sites manage this through a narrow banner across the top of a page with an OK button to accept the cookies and a link to find out more details. (Some sites do not allow to continue unless you do accept them, but for most on clicking the OK button, the narrow banner then disappears - much like the "This forum is scheduled for deletion" notices from Nabble.)

I was just hoping to be able to achieve something like that.

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

Gary Lewis
Greg - Might it have been me?  My forum is embedded in a Weebly site: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

GregChapman
No!
This topic was initiated in connection with feedback from committee members about the forum on the "draft" site, not yet formally launched, at:
http://www.b4rn-eastanglia.org.uk/news.php

Re: Macro: cookie_countries

Gary Lewis
I'm sorry!  Please delete my post.