Login link displayed when user already logged in

Login link displayed when user already logged in

Steve Diamond

This is probably related to an issue I raised in this thread, but I'm pulling it out for clarity's sake.

The original issue was that the username sometimes displays in the upper right when the user is not actually logged in. This new issue is the obverse. The Login link displays when the user actually is logged in.

To reproduce this behavior:

  • Open any multi-tab browser.
  • Go to a private embedded forum. (Note: I can't give an example because I've seen this behavior only on my private embedded forum. If a Nabble rep needs access to that forum in order to pursue this, let me know. I do suspect that this behavior appears only in private embedded forums, or perhaps in all embedded forums, or perhaps in all private forums, because I haven't been able to reproduce it here on the support forum.)
  • Be sure that you're logged out of Nabble by clicking your username, if it appears in the upper right, and clicking Logout.
  • Open another tab and go to the same forum. You should see the Login link in the upper right, same as in the other tab.
  • Log in on tab 2.
You'll see on tab 1 that it behaves as if you're logged in but the Login link persists in the upper right, where it should now be displaying your username.

Bottom line, there are some underlying cookie and session issues that need to be solved. It's possible that cookie behavior may be different in embedded forums compared to non-embedded. But once that part is fixed, there ought to be a straightforward way to ensure that the upper right display is correct. If there's no logged-in user, display the Login link. If there is, display the username link.

Single user, single browsing session, multiple tabs: log out from Nabble followed by log in may not update the 'Login' area in all tabs

Graham Perrin
> Open any multi-tab browser.

Here: using Safari 3.2.1 (5525.27.1) on Mac OS X 10.5.6, Intel. Safari enhanced with PithHelmet, Saft etc..

> Go to a private embedded forum.

> Be sure that you're logged out of Nabble

> Open another tab and go to the same forum.

> Log in on tab 2.

Issue confirmed: in tab 1 the invitation to Login persists after I Refresh (in Nabble) and after I Reload Page (in Safari).

I might treat this issue as cosmetic. I do not expect multiple users to use a single tab or browser session.

Regards
Graham

Re: Single user, single browsing session, multiple tabs: log out from Nabble followed by log in may not update the 'Login' area in all tabs

Steve Diamond
Thanks for confirming this. I might be inclined to treat it as cosmetic as well, except that I firmly believe that it's intertwined with some much more serious issues about embedded forums, as I reported here.

Re: Single user, single browsing session, multiple tabs: log out from Nabble followed by log in may not update the 'Login' area in all tabs

Graham Perrin
Steve Diamond wrote
… intertwined with some much more serious issues …
For the moment, I treat most topics as separate.

might be comparable to
Login at embedded Nabble may not equal login at non-embedded Nabble (not necessarily the same cause or effect).

Re: Single user, single browsing session, multiple tabs: log out from Nabble followed by log in may not update the 'Login' area in all tabs

Steve Diamond
Graham Perrin wrote
Steve Diamond wrote
… intertwined with some much more serious issues …
For the moment, I treat most topics as separate.
Ah, the eternal tension between the scientific approach and the intuitive. I've found that in debugging both are sometimes needed.

Re: Login link displayed when user already logged in

Hugo (Nabble)
Hi Steve,

This issue seems to be resolved, right?
Please let me know if you still see the problem.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Login link displayed when user already logged in

Steve Diamond
Hi, Hugo. No, it's not resolved. In Firefox it still behaves exactly as I documented in the OP. That's when I have my 3rd-party cookie setting at the default of not accepting 3rd party cookies. When I change that setting to accept 3rd party cookies, it works as expected in multiple tabs. IOW logging in on one tab does log in all the other tabs, but only when you accept 3rd party cookies.

Re: Login link displayed when user already logged in

thaifan
For some reason, whenever I even view my embedded website forum as a surfer viewing my site, the Forum seems to know it is me (most times).

That's OK!

But today, it suddenly developed green dots for everyone of my postings, indicating I am a user on line.

Surely there is a editor function to turn off, or on, such notification.

If there is, can anyone please tell me how to turn it off.

Thanks!

Re: Login link displayed when user already logged in

Hugo <Nabble>
We will soon release a feature that allows users to be invisible.

RE: Login link displayed when user already logged in

thaifan
Thanks Hugo!

The system did not begin to indicate I was on line, until two days ago.

So, I was surprised to suddenly begin seeing all those green dots.

Much appreciated.

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:16:49 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Login link displayed when user already logged in

We will soon release a feature that allows users to be invisible.

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Login-link-displayed-when-user-already-logged-in-tp2293614p4458590.html
To unsubscribe from Re: Login link displayed when user already logged in, click here.

Learn how Video chat with Windows Live Messenger