Layout - change position of options in newspaper

Layout - change position of options in newspaper

Admin ProSchulreformHH
Hi!

Our Nabble forum is growing and growing. It's great! Things that disturb us a little bit is the poor HTML-Editor (too less formatting options) which for a forum use is okay, but it is not really enough for  newspaper editing. Also, that "posted by mail" topics could not be edited afterwards is bothering (the edit post option is great though!). But maybe you are working on that.

It also would be cool, if the numbering of comments disappear, as soon as you lock the comment options. That would be also convenient for the users, because with this symbol, they are tempted to make a comment, but are wondering why they can't. But that also will may be more a thing for future releases.

I embedded our newspaper sub forum in a Jimdo webpage. Jimdo has restrictions concerning the width of content frames, and for various reasons we want to stick to it.

So we got the problem, that the column with newspaper contents are too narrow because of the options being placed on the side. Is there a possibility to place the options on the top (like in the forum mode), still keeping the cool newspaper layout.

You will find the site here:
 http://www.proschulreformhh.de/links-und-hintergr%C3%BCnde/literatur-aktuell/

The second wish is, that top line goes away, so the readers only see the contents and cannot go one level higher (which takes them out of the homepage).

I made a screen shot to show you what I mean.

Re: Layout - change position of options in newspaper

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks for the feedback. We will work on solutions, see below.
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
Our Nabble forum is growing and growing. It's great! Things that disturb us a little bit is the poor HTML-Editor (too less formatting options) which for a forum use is okay, but it is not really enough for newspaper editing.
In a few months users will be able to change the screen in any way they want. This is part of the templates and modules features we are working on.
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
Also, that "posted by mail" topics could not be edited afterwards is bothering (the edit post option is great though!). But maybe you are working on that.
Why shouldn't the author be allowed to edit his/her posts? This is important because people usually have email signatures with telephone numbers and addresses. So they should have a way to edit this in case the email gets archived.
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
It also would be cool, if the numbering of comments disappear, as soon as you lock the comment options. That would be also convenient for the users, because with this symbol, they are tempted to make a comment, but are wondering why they can't. But that also will may be more a thing for future releases.
This makes sense. We will fix this soon.
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
I embedded our newspaper sub forum in a Jimdo webpage. Jimdo has restrictions concerning the width of content frames, and for various reasons we want to stick to it.

So we got the problem, that the column with newspaper contents are too narrow because of the options being placed on the side. Is there a possibility to place the options on the top (like in the forum mode), still keeping the cool newspaper layout.
I see the problem. We will work on this because this is important. Other types have an option to show wide/narrow, so the news format should also have this option. I will let you know when this is ready.
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
The second wish is, that top line goes away, so the readers only see the contents and cannot go one level higher (which takes them out of the homepage).
To hide that line, you can go to the parent forum "PROSchulreformHH" and click on "Options > Editor > Change appearance". Then you enter this custom CSS at the bottom of that page:
div.breadcrumbs { display:none; }
This will hide the breadcrumbs trail. I don't think you should hide the login information because this will bring confusion. So hiding only the breadcrumbs will solve your problem. Please try that and see.

Re: Layout - change position of options in newspaper

Admin ProSchulreformHH
First of all: thanks alot that you took much effort answering my request.

As I wrote in an other topic, unfortunately we will probably not take advantage of a improvent in a few months. We are a grassroots movement that will probably end in the summer, after some political decisions were made.

 Why shouldn't the author be allowed to edit his/her posts? This is important because people usually have email signatures with telephone numbers and addresses. So they should have a way to edit this in case the email gets archived.

You misunderstood me there. I mean, if I post a formatted topic by email, it is not possible for me to edit in the nabble forum. Why not?

Okay, this solution is not perfect, because that means I have to take out this sub-forum into a new forum. The breadcrumb trail is needed in an other sub-forum (classic discussion forum). But I can live with that. I assume, that this will be available at your big "template release".

Re: Layout - change position of options in newspaper

Hugo <Nabble>
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
First of all: thanks alot that you took much effort answering my request.
You are welcome. By the way, the layout of your news page has been fixed. We added a configuration to make the sidebar disappear. This configuration can be found in "Options > Editor > Change appearance" (look for "Newspaper page format"). I set it to "narrow".
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
As I wrote in an other topic, unfortunately we will probably not take advantage of a improvent in a few months. We are a grassroots movement that will probably end in the summer, after some political decisions were made.
OK, I see.
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
You misunderstood me there. I mean, if I post a formatted topic by email, it is not possible for me to edit in the nabble forum. Why not?
Well, we convert those posts into plain text when the user tries to edit them. Some client email applications add a lot of HTML junk to emails and we are more or less hiding them from the user. We may change this in the future. How bad is this implementation for you?
Templates will certainly bring a huge value to all users. People will be able to change anything and even implement their own system. But this work is still in progress.

Re: Layout - change position of options in newspaper

Admin ProSchulreformHH
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
By the way, the layout of your news page has been fixed. We added a configuration to make the sidebar disappear. This configuration can be found in "Options > Editor > Change appearance" (look for "Newspaper page format"). I set it to "narrow".
VERY VERY COOL! Thanks alot, that really was a great help.

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Well, we convert those posts into plain text when the user tries to edit them. Some client email applications add a lot of HTML junk to emails and we are more or less hiding them from the user. We may change this in the future. How bad is this implementation for you?
Maybe it would be an option for future releases, to make the editor just ignore the tags in an inserted  code instead of rejecting them.

I am not sure how you can help me here.