Is this normal?

shamus mcquail
So I made a member category to specifically get into a private forum section.  Everytime I want post in it, I have to login.  Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do to change it?
Thanks for the help.

Re: Is this normal?

GregChapman
shamus mcquail wrote
So I made a member category to specifically get into a private forum section.  Everytime I want post in it, I have to login.  Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do to change it?
Yes and no respectively.

I think you are saying you added an an address of a registered user to the "Members" group and then set the permissions for a certain sub-forum so that only someone in that group has permission to post.

If I understood you right then that is normal. There is no way for Nabble servers to know if you belong to the appropriate group until you have identified yourself and you do that by logging in.

I know of no computer system where access rights are limited that does not require you to login be that by username and password, card scanning, fingerprint, face or iris recognition or some other method.

Having said that, you may be forgetting that every modern browser has a facility to remember login details on previously visited sites. Providing you select the appropriate options in your browser you should get be able to login automatically - but that's a browser feature not one of Nabble's.

Re: Is this normal?

shamus mcquail
GregChapman wrote
shamus mcquail wrote
So I made a member category to specifically get into a private forum section.  Everytime I want post in it, I have to login.  Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do to change it?
Yes and no respectively.

that is normal.

Having said that, you may be forgetting that every modern browser has a facility to remember login details on previously visited sites.
Well that sucks.  Its just a pain to have to login on every post, similar to the mobile post picture bug.
I did know about the saving login info.  That makes things easier, but not ideal.  It's not an ideal world I guess.

Re: Is this normal?

GregChapman
I don't know what browser you use but I can't remember the last time I had to login to any Nabble forum where I have set the browser to remember my login details - unless I have deliberately logged out before closing the window, so it doesn't suck for me.

Works in most other situations too. For example I have a bookmark to my Amazon Wish List page. I rarely keep any AmazoƱ tab open but if I use the bookmark, it opens at my wish list with me having to login.

I wonder if this case it is related to your forum being embedded within a blogger site and it forces closure of the Nabble session. It certainly does not happen to any of my embedded forums hosted in sites with a conventional hosting company.

Re: Is this normal?

shamus mcquail
GregChapman wrote
I don't know what browser you use but I can't remember the last time I had to login to any Nabble forum where I have set the browser to remember my login details - unless I have deliberately logged out before closing the window, so it doesn't suck for me.

I wonder if this case it is related to your forum being embedded within a blogger site and it forces closure of the Nabble session. It certainly does not happen to any of my embedded forums hosted in sites with a conventional hosting company.
I am using chrome.  I just did a bunch of testing on mobile and desktop.  It seems the redirect is the problem.  I undirected my forum to my blogger and everything works fine now.  Even the mobile picture posting bug is gone.  I didn't have to put my password in once in the private forums.  Even when using the embedded forum, it worked perfectly.  On mobile it jumps out to a new window , but it still works.  Thanks for the help.  i have a custom domain, so I guess I will leave it undirected unless there is a fix.