Is Nabble using New Cookies and Tracking Software

Is Nabble using New Cookies and Tracking Software

Flick
I've notice lately that Firefox is showing in the URL field that my Forum is using 3rd party cookies and blockable content. My Adblocker symbol is also showing high numbers like 20, 30 and higher for items that could be blocked. I've never seen any numbers on my Ad Blocker or Firefox before. Something must be going on behind the scenes. Is Nabble tracking usage? or setting up some type of advertising platform. Something in the code has change behind the scene. It would be nice if Nabble shared some info with us on what's happening and their future plans.

Re: Is Nabble using New Cookies and Tracking Software

Raven<Nabble>
Some forums now have ads.

One site has a "disable ads" button. The details are in the thread below; it's a long story. We track whether a visitor has clicked the disable ads button, in order to remember it when they visit the site again. This does involve storing data - we're simply storing a true or false on whether they clicked the button.
http://support.nabble.com/How-to-join-Hugo-Nabble-owner-of-postgresql-archive-org-tp7601285.html

These are the only changes in the past few months.

On your site, I have tried accessing it with blocking enabled in the latest version of Firefox, and also tried it with AdBlock Plus. The only thing from Nabble being blocked is Google Analytics, which we have had for years and is a standard thing that most sites have.

There are some threads you have with embedded Youtube videos. These contain ads that have nothing to do with us; they are put there by YouTube.

Re: Is Nabble using New Cookies and Tracking Software

GregChapman
Hi Raven,

As you accept users in the European Union you are subject to the General Data Protection Regulation. Having your servers outside the EU does not protect you from the law. It's where the users are resident that matters.

This law requires you to notify all users those in countries of the Europen Union of changes in the way you handle their data.

At the time when Hugo introduced the "Cookie Law Compliance Solution" I thought that was sufficient to cover you, but I now realise that the more recent GDPR requires much more of you.

Nabble needs to have at least a "Privacy Policy" statement always accessible to any user (a link in the footer would be the conventional approach) and changes to this need to be notified to all users (normally this is done by email that includes a summary of the changes and a link to the revised policy document) as they are made.

Re: Is Nabble using New Cookies and Tracking Software

Flick
It's unenforceable. If you are outside of the U.K., you are out of their administrative reach. Unless you are a big company with large assets to protect, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a dumb law to begin with as are many British laws.