Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

Coleen_Astalos
For posts sent via email with an image inline - sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.  When they don't, what I see is just a "click here" words (not even a link) and then the remainder of the email message is missing.  Here are links to some of those:

http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/Can-I-really-send-a-post-using-the-link-if-I-m-not-registered-td86.html#a87
(here is a picture of what the email in my outbox looked like):

Here is another one:
http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/New-Posting-by-changing-subject-line-td82.html

But it's not all pictures included inline and sent via email, as these ones sent by email worked fine:
http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/Try-again-but-to-creative-ideas-section-td6.html#a7
http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/Washi-Tape-Samples-td4.html

In addition, the "click here" with the rest of the message missing is not always a picture - sometimes it's a link that doesn't show - like in this one:
http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/Another-business-topic-td11.html#a16
(here is a picture of what the email in my outbox looked like):

I have more examples if that would help to identify what is the same vs different between these.
Coleen

Re: Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

GregChapman
See reply at:
http://support.nabble.com/Inline-pictures-not-shown-unless-logged-in-tp7586757p7586848.html

Re: Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

Coleen_Astalos
Actually, this is not resolved.  While the other one you referenced does seem to be fixed (inline images not showing if not logged in), this one (where the image sent via email) sometimes doesn't show and cuts off the rest of the message doesn't seem to be fixed.

I'm still seeing in this thread: http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/Can-I-really-send-a-post-using-the-link-if-I-m-not-registered-td86.html the second message doesn't have the imbedded image (a picture of a monitor ad) or the rest of the message.  This is what it should look like:

But if you look at the second message you can see it stops where the picture was imbedded.  The rest of the message is ignored (including the original message that was replied to) and then a "click here. and NAML link" is inserted (I think that click here & NAML link is from the very bottom of the replied to message where it tells you to click here to unsubscribe to the post & then gives you the NAML code link).

I wonder if any of this is because the reply came from an unregistered users email address?

I'll have to do some testing to see if that is the only time I see this happen and if so, may be related to the reason a non-registered user can't add an image to a post:  http://support.nabble.com/Allow-HTML-posting-by-Non-registered-user-td7586981.html

But I think an emailed imbedded image needs to be handled by the system whether the user is registered or not.
Coleen

Re: Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

Pedro
Please, could you forward that email for me?
pedro@nabble.com

Re: Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

Coleen_Astalos
Sent.

Re: Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

Pedro
I made some tests. Does your email client have the option to insert images?
That one that showed up was sent by inserting image or attached?

Re: Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

Coleen_Astalos
Yes, I use Outlook 2007 and can insert images into the body of the email.

The computer monitor image was inserted into the body of the email immediately following the text "That's cool - but still only plain text right?" and before the text "Above is a picture I inserted into this email."  This is the image that didn't show and where the post stopped being displayed.

The black and white picture of the flower was attached to the email and showed up (as an attachment) to the forum fine.
Coleen

Re: Inline Images sent via email sometimes work and sometimes don't

Coleen_Astalos
I'm wondering if this was maybe just a fluke?

I just did a test.  I send the same email - one from a non-registered account, one from a registered account.  Both of them had the same inline picture in the email.  Here are the two posts:
http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/Test-of-imbedded-image-in-email-from-a-REGISTERED-user-td192.html
http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/Test-of-imbedded-image-in-email-from-unregistered-user-td194.html

The inline picture showed fine in both of these.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time researching and trying to solve this.  If I notice it continue to happen, I'll let you know,
-Coleen