Improvements to search interface

Graham Perrin
This post was updated on .
Zabre wrote
there is something basic missing in nabble.com : how to find a forum? The search function cannot help me find the forum on "Meld" for example.
1. <http://n2.nabble.com/>

2. in the search field, type Meld then click Search

@ Nabble

I often overlooked the list of matching forums.

Maybe a single icon alongside the matched forums would help?
Speeding through <http://n2.nabble.com/Nabble-Latest-Features-f1559156.html> and <http://n2.nabble.com/nabble2.html> maybe the most recognisable icon for a forum is the folder icon …

Nabble search: matching forums: top four: icon

Graham Perrin
Graham Perrin wrote
Maybe a single icon alongside the matched forums would help?
A very lazily hacked mock-up:

<quote author="Graham Perrin">

— note the repositioning (lowering) of the line that counts the matching posts.

Just a suggestion :)

Re: Nabble search: matching forums: top four: icon

Hugo <Nabble>
This is a good suggestion indeed. We will work on this.

Thanks,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Nabble has become unusable

Zabre
Thank you so much!
I did overlooked that each time!
I guess I've been trained to skip Google Ads, and this block of text may unfortunately have been processed as some google ads?

For sure it's not obvious. For me at least.

Anyway thank you for this!

(even if in this "Meld" case it seems I can't find the proper forum I was looking for...)

Gnome - Meld - General (found in the old area)

Graham Perrin
Zabre wrote
(even if in this "Meld" case it seems I can't find the proper forum I was looking for...)
Gnome - Meld - General is found in the old Nabble1 catalogue, is that the one?

Re: Nabble search: matching forums: top four: icon

Thanks for the suggestion.
We have improved the search UI and it will be available after the next release.

Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Gnome - Meld - General (found in the old area)

Zabre
Yes this is the one!
Thank you.

Re: Nabble search: matching forums: top four: icon

Zabre
I have seen the GUI improvement, I think it is better now.
Not extremely obvious still, but that is a matter of taste I guess.

My two cents : Forums titles being more important, they are usually written in bigger and bolder characters, I guess it would be more obvious if the "forums titles" results were respecting this difference. At the moment Forums titles are *smaller* and *thiner* than thread titles! That makes them look less important. That is probably why some of us did overlook them. And why I found them similar to google ads or unimportant things like this.

Thank you Graham and Hugo for your efforts!

Search results: still a little mixed (matching forums interspersed with the text that counts the posts/topics)

Graham Perrin
Folder icon noted with thanks :)

Maybe bring the count line down, to where the counted posts/threads begin?

With the count line in its current position, we still have matching fora interspersed with matching posts.

Best,
Graham

Re: Search results: still a little mixed (matching forums interspersed with the text that counts the posts/topics)

Hugo (Nabble)
That's a good suggestion too, thanks.
This will be available after the next release.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com