Import Mailman Archive

Galaxy Outreach
Hello all,

There are lots of threads asking to "please import a Mailman mbox archive to a Nabble archive."  However, I can't find a thread that explains best practices for doing this.

My particular concerns are:
1) How do I make the import as easy as possible on the Nabble folks?
2) How can this be done without losing any email threads?

Do I start archiving new messages in Nabble before creating the mbox archive, or should I start archiving new messages only after the import has happened (and thus lose some threads)?  Would having some duplicate messages in both the mbox archive and the Nabble forum mess things up?

Apologies if all this is obvious and is just caused by my lack of mailing list admin expertise.

Thanks,

Dave C.

Re: Import Mailman Archive

Peter <Nabble>
We need a mbox file. You can provide a link where we could download it. If you don't want to make it public you can send me a pm (link on my profile).

My advice is that you lock your mail list for a few moments, generate the mbox at that instant, set up the mail archive and then unlock it. This way you will have an mbox with all messages not sent to the archive.
If it is not possible to do that you may consider deleting the messages present at the mbox which have already gone to the archive from the mbox file before making it available to us or waiting for us to import it and deleting them online.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Import Mailman Archive

rossen
Hi,

Could you please import

ftp://ftp.gromacs.org/pub/gmx-users.mbox into the http://gromacs-users.5086.n6.nabble.com forum, and

ftp://ftp.gromacs.org/pub/gmx-developers.mbox into the http://gromacs-developers.5090.n6.nabble.com forum?

Thanks a lot!
Rossen

Re: Import Mailman Archive

Hi,

we've started the process. I'll let you know when it is complete.

Re: Import Mailman Archive

Hi,

If you want to do this, use the Options > Structure > Change parent to create a new parent then go to the same screen on the other archive in order to move it.

Re: Import Mailman Archive

rossen
Hi,

Thank you for the help and the advice.
Should I do that now or wait for the import to finish?

Rossen

On 2012-02-10 02.30, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] wrote:
Hi,

If you want to do this, use the Options > Structure > Change parent to create a new parent then go to the same screen on the other archive in order to move it.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Import-Mailman-Archive-tp7001781p7271371.html
To unsubscribe from Import Mailman Archive, click here.
NAML

Re: Import Mailman Archive

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Rossen, we did that for you. We merged your archives and imported the mbox files.
http://gromacs.5086.n6.nabble.com/

Re: Import Mailman Archive

rossen
Hi Hugo and team,

Thanks a lot for that!

Cheers,
Rossen

On Feb 11, 2012, at 6:12, "Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]"<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Rossen, we did that for you. We merged your archives and imported the mbox files.
http://gromacs.5086.n6.nabble.com/
Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Import-Mailman-Archive-tp7001781p7275373.html