IP logging on Nabble Forum

mopsnetwork
Hello Nabble staff and forum,

For security reasons, leaning more toward preventing and stopping abuse on my forum, I've been curious about capturing IP addresses.

I came across this topic: http://support.nabble.com/Getting-the-ip-address-from-a-visitor-and-show-it-on-extra-fields-td7586939.html

However, I feel it's unsecure to expose someones IP publicly as they could be DDoS'd or attacked with other methods and means of malicious tools. I was wondering if there was a way to make it so only Admins of the Forum or the owner could see the IP addresses?

Thanks.

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

Hugo <Nabble>
The first step is to install the tracking code in your forum so that it saves the IP addresses in the database. Later we can add some code that will reveal the IP to admins. Please post the forum URL so that we can proceed with step 1.

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

mopsnetwork

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

Hugo <Nabble>
I've installed the code. The IP is saved when the user posts a new message. You can contact me again once you have some new posts in your forum.

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

mopsnetwork
This post was updated on .
I've created a couple of test posts with a test account (NetworkGuardian) and one by my friend (Jg99) in the Public Chat category, if that helps.

Post can be found here: http://forum.mopsnetwork.org/Test-Subject-td25.html
and here: http://forum.mopsnetwork.org/T-e-s-t-i-n-g-1-2-3-td27.html

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

Hugo <Nabble>
Please check your forum again and open the profile page of a user. If the user has an IP stored in the database, it will be displayed under the registration date (the date of the capture is also available).

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

mopsnetwork
It appears to not work. Also it appears that every time I view somebody's profile, the Footer and "Created by" text return.

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

Hugo <Nabble>
The "profile_header" macro is overridden in your forum. It seems to be broken. You can remove that change and the profile page will work fine.

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

mopsnetwork
This post was updated on .
I've managed to resolve the problem. It appears the "Extra Fields" macro had a slight error from when I was toying with it days ago, and had forgotten to re-specify an agent  from "none" to "user". This solves the issue with the footer coming back.

As for the IP script, it still doesn't seem to work. I don't know if i modified something that broke it, or if there is another conflict somewhere. The IP's appear to be showing publicly still.

UPDATE: It seems everything is now working fine. I've managed to figure out why the IP script wasn't working properly. There was a conflict with the "Extra Fields" macro file, in which the IP code there was still telling that the IP's should be revealed public. I copied over part of your IP script from the IP macro you created and replaced some of the code in Extra Fields, and now it seems to work perfectly fine and show for Admins only.

Before I consider this solved, I would like to ask one last favor of you to simply test yourself if you can see any IP's on any profile without permissions and let me know.

Thanks for your help, time and efforts, as well as patience in helping me with this. I'm new to this type of code and hopefully will have time to learn it in the future.

Re: IP logging on Nabble Forum

Hugo <Nabble>
Everything seems to be working fine.