How to recieve your own post on mail list

How to recieve your own post on mail list

timothy
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
avd

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

avd
I think the logic is a poster wouldn't need to be notified that they posted, only when they get replies. You could use the "email this post" box if you need that.
GET MORE OUT OF OFFICE 365!
Custom applications and site design.
Blogs, drop down menus, image galleries and more.
webbrewers.com
Our Nabble forum

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

AFTER you confirm your subscription, you should receive all appropriate posts made - even your own.

At the time you subscribe, you choose whether to receive only new topics or all posts.
avd

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

avd
Greg,
If I initiate a thread in a forum app, I don't get that first post but get all replies including my own if I check the "email replies" box.
GET MORE OUT OF OFFICE 365!
Custom applications and site design.
Blogs, drop down menus, image galleries and more.
webbrewers.com
Our Nabble forum

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

GregChapman
Well, I will confess that I have no experience of creating a new topic at root level via the web or by mail - and now I think about it, I have probably never created a topic by mail in a sub-forum.

None of the forums in which I am involved allow posting at the root level. However, in all forums with which I am involved I am subscribed at root level. I post new topics, via the web, very regularly but only in sub-forums. I always get my message back as a mail.

I guess bugs could exist in the subscription process when creating a new topic by mail, whether at root or sub-forum level. I just haven't done that to encounter them.

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

Art Kendall
I guess I did not see that option when I subscribed.  Is there a way to set my account so I receive my own posts? I have had that option for more than a couple decades on Listserv lists.  It helps me see the whole thread locally in my mail without having to go online.

Should I just unsubscribe and resubscribe.

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

Mencey Melgar
I suppose you are talking about "notify every post", so that means that you are using "notify new topics only", you can go to the forum where you have the subscription and Options > "Your subscription:" > Edit.

There is also another way to recive posts by email, just checking the box "Alert me by email when someone posts to this thread"(which is below the message field when you create a post).
:) Helper

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

Hi Art,

I believe that you are suffering Nabble's assumption  that everyone uses email programs that hae a GMail-style "conversation" display.

See my moan at:
http://support.nabble.com/Convert-Forum-to-Mail-List-tp7580384p7580459.html
and Hugo's response in the following post.

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

Art Kendall
I have been using the discussion list SPSSX-L_since the mid-80s.
I now access it through nabble because UGA is running a mid-90s version of LISTSERV.

I use Thunderbird for email. I does have threading.  IF I recall correctly, gmail uses more a webmail approach that an email aproach.

I post to the discussion by sending email to <ml-node+s1045642n1068821h68@n5.nabble.com>
Which is an address that was emailed to me by Nabble when i joined it.
I like to see all of the responses to posts threaded so that messages are grouped by topic with replies nested below. If I see my posts in teh thread I 1) know the group has seen it, and 2) it will be in the archives when people search the archives before posting a new topic.

Am I correct that Nabble is oriented to webmail rather email, i.e., that it is usually accessed through a browser?
Is there a way to have it set an option like ACK in lISTSERV, Major Domo, etc? I.e., to have the software acknowledge receiving a post by emailing it back.

Further, is there a way to get Nabble support without going through a browser. In other words as a discussion?

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

Art Kendall
Where is this macro that one would tweak? is it part of an add-on for Thunderbird?  Or do I have to find out who is the list manger for the SPSSX-L list on nNabble?

Re: How to recieve your own post on mail list

GregChapman
Art Kendall wrote
Where is this macro that one would tweak? is it part of an add-on for Thunderbird?  Or do I have to find out who is the list manger for the SPSSX-L list on nNabble?
It's a "feature" of Nabble. The owner of the Nabble archive - there should be a "Create by" link on the home page that will allow you to email them - (or someone on the list with administrator rights) will need to edit the macro, using these steps:

1. Click the "Edit this page" link found at the bottom right of most Nabble pages.
2. Click the cog-wheel graphic (to open a menu)
3. Select the option "Search macros"
4. Enter the macro name "should_get_instant_mail" (without the quotes), ensure the "macro by name" option is selected and click the "Search" button.
5. One the results screen, click the "should_get_instant_mail" link.
6. On the macro screen, click the "Over-ride this macro" button.
7. On the edit screen, delete the existing code and replace with:
 <override_macro name="should_get_instant_mail" requires="user,node_page" >
    <n.set_local_user.this_user/>
    <n.block.>
        <n.local_user.can_view.page_node />
    </n.block.>
</override_macro>
then click the "Save changes" button.
8. Click the archive link at the top left to return to the normal archive view.

You can direct the list owner to this post using the "More" link above it and the "Permalink" option on the menu that appears.