How to prevent accidentally lost embedding code & forum access again -when you redirect the forum to your website?

Beo

How to prevent accidentally lost embedding code & forum access again -when you redirect the forum to your website?

Beo
Hi,
recently I had the embedding code of my forum on a page on my website accidentally deleted and you quickly helped me retrieved it http://support.nabble.com/Recovery-request-for-f-5911-td7598137.html (thanks!)

I apologize if this info is already present, I've made a research in the support forum, but couldn't able to find an answer.

My question is simple:
how can I prevent this to happen again?

In general, having codes deleted when I work on the html  is something that can happen from time to time.
It happens.
In this case I was modifying and integrating some text - and accidentally the blog editor "ate" a portion of the code.

Having set the redirect of my nabble forum on my website page in which the embedded code is,
 if the nabble code it's accidentally deleted again:
how can I prevent to lose access in the future,
be able to access the forum
and so access the embedding code
 (without asking you for recovery again)?

Is it enough to save the embedding code apart (I mean, in a document I keep apart, not online),
 and, if needed, simply paste it again in my html for the page in which I want to have the forum seen by my users?

If not, having the embedded code in two different html pages, and having the redirect of the forum on one of them, (the html of which never to be touched again!),
so that if I delete the code on one page , I can access the forum login on this other html page,
which the redirect points to? Makes sense?

I really like and enjoy having  this option of redirecting the forum on my website -but obviously a little concerned about this deleting thing.

Thank you!

Re: How to prevent accidentally lost embedding code & forum access again -when you redirect the forum to your website?

GregChapman
Hi Beo,

My strong recommendations would be:

1. Always keep a local copy of the embedding code.
2. Never use Redirect to until the page in which the forum is to be embedded is finalised.

As you have discovered, using the Redirect To feature in Nabble  before you have finalised the code in your main site is dangerous, particularly when you are using an online web editing service such as Wix,Weekly,Blogger, etc, when you have no local back up.

Having a second page in you main site with Nabble embedded and redirected is possible, but it can be confusing for users because, as they navigate round the forum they would also move around your blog.

I think this also works, but I am not sure.  I would appreciate it if you try embedding into a second page and see if that works, and let me know.

Re: How to prevent accidentally lost embedding code & forum access again -when you redirect the forum to your website?

GregChapman
I have had two different forum pages embedded in different main site pages in the past. It works - but is confusing for users as the page in which the forum is embedded shifts as they navigate around the forum (so I abandoned using the approach).

On one of my sites I am currently operating with a sub-forum page embedded but many others not.. The forum simply slips into embedded mode when the user navigates to the right sub-forum. Those with the right permissions can navigate away from the embedded sub-forum and break out of embedding if they wish.

Operating like that would certainly have been a solution for Beo as the only problem she had was not knowing the code to use to gain access to the forum once the the embedding code had been deleted from her main site.