How to make something like this? (see image inside thread)

How to make something like this? (see image inside thread)

DiditzZz
Well, nobody seems to be looking at my question, so I'll just post in a new thread.

I have seen one of the good Nabble forums by this link here. How to get that sub-forum view? This is the preview of what's inside that link.

Re: How to make something like this? (see image inside thread)

GregChapman
That is what you see in a MIXED application with a number of sub-forums set as FORUM applications.

When using the MIXED application at the top level my own preference is to remove permissions of all user groups from creating or replying to messages in the top level, but then to over-ride this for every sub-forum. This gives the effect seen on my SeaHawk Forum, where all posts appear within named areas rather than having the vague "Topics" as the top section heading.

Re: How to make something like this? (see image inside thread)

DiditzZz
Hi GregChapman, I thank you very much your help. Could you please tell me what I need to produce a forum like that? Here's what I gathered so far:
1. You have several Nabble applications (whether its a mix of Nable forum apps with Nabble gallery/mailing list/other apps, or combination of only several Nable forum apps)
2. You have MIXED them (combined them) through preference of "removing permissions for all user groups from creating or replying to messages in the top level", which I can't find where it is.

I have yet to understand on how to change the preference, let alone to personally override this for every sub-forum (I am assuming this is some kind of separate preference to be found on each forums/sub-forums.

Thank you in advance for all the help you are putting through, for I appreciate it so much. Have a nice day!

Re: How to make something like this? (see image inside thread)

GregChapman
Hi DiditzZz,

You misunderstand slightly. On the page there is a forum called "Music Curios & More Forum". The Admin of that forum has used the option at: OPTIONS > EDITOR > CHANGE APPLICATION TYPE to set that forum to be of type MIXED.

Then he created a number of sub-forums (OPTIONS > STRUCTURE > CREATE NEW SUB-FORUM) with the names "Music (MIDIs, APM tracks, etc.)", "Musical Instruments", etc. Each of these have been left at the default type "FORUM".

Unlike in my suggestion, he allows posts to be made in the top-level Mixed application. This is why the first area is labelled "Topics" and is not a link. That area contains the posts made to the top-level Mixed application. Note how the heading above the list of topics in each sub-forum is a link and will take you to that sub-forum. Once in a sub-forum you will see a set of "breadcrumb" links across the top of the forum that allow you to navigate back to the top-level.

My preference is not to allow posting at the top level. To change the permissions to stop that, at the top-level go to: OPTIONS > USERS > CHANGE PERMISSIONS. There you find a screen that will allow you to stop members of various user groups posting to that forum. Note that permissions are, inherited by any sub-forum, so to allow posts to be made in the sub-forums, you must visit each sub-forum in turn and go to its CHANGE PERMISSIONS screen, and there change the default "Inherit" setting to "Custom", and there set permissions to allow the appropriate groups to be able to create topics and reply to them.

Hope that is enough to get you started.

Re: How to make something like this? (see image inside thread)

mywaytoo
Greg...

On your forum, where it says:
Inserting Images in the Forum by
your name

the text from the post is not included... It is always included for me, so I have changed back again...

How did you specify that you did not want to display the content of the post?
Anne

Re: How to make something like this? (see image inside thread)

GregChapman
Hi Anne,

I have several forums which include an "Inserting Images..." post. I afraid I can't find the one that includes the text you quote. Can you post a link so I can put your quote in context and work out what I was talking about.

(It must be my age, you know! :-) )

Re: How to make something like this? (see image inside thread)

DiditzZz
Hi GregChapman, I carefully studied your step-by-step. I accomplished it, here check it out!

Thank you very much, my ex-lecturer was very satisfied with it!