How to join members?

Champions
This is my first experience of managing a forum and all has been going well apart from the fact that I can't figure out how to join members!  I did manage to get one at when I first added it to our site, can't remember now how I did it.  When I tried to add a new member earlier and typed in his name it kept coming up with some random email address attached to it...it's not the email of the person who wants to join. Would appreciate some help and keep in mind that I'm a newbie to running forums
Champions

Re: How to join members?

Graham Perrin
Champions wrote
I can't figure out how to join members!
At your How to Join the forum I see:

the forum has been set to only allow members of our club to post comments, each member that wishes to will have to be approved by the administrator.  Send an email via the Contact Us page stating the username you would like to use and if you are a member you will be approved.
The routine is simpler :)

You can refine your text:

Posts are received from authorised users only. Your first click to post in a restricted forum will present to you an invitation to join. When the invitation appears, click Send Request; your request is automatically sent to forum owners for approval.
See also
When privacy is set: hint, to owner, that unauthorised users are offered an application to join

Regards
Graham

Postscript: refinement (reduction) of the suggested text.

RE: How to join members?

Champions
Hello Graham,
Thank you for your help on this matter, it was really appreciated.
Champions

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:53:51 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: How to join members?

Champions wrote:
I can't figure out how to join members!
At your How to Join the forum I see:

the forum has been set to only allow members of our club to post comments, each member that wishes to will have to be approved by the administrator.  Send an email via the Contact Us page stating the username you would like to use and if you are a member you will be approved.
The routine is simpler :)

You can refine your text:

Posts to this forum are received from authorised users only. Your first click to post in a restricted forum will present to you an invitation to join. When the invitation appears, click Send Request; your request is automatically sent to forum owners for approval.
See also
When privacy is set: hint, to owner, that unauthorised users are offered an application to join

Regards
Graham

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/How-to-join-members--tp2188037p2249180.html

Windows Live Hotmail just got better. Find out more!
Champions

RE: How to join members?

Graham Perrin
I'm glad it was useful :)

Coincidentally, I needed a form of wording for our own forums, it's sometimes easier to draft something for someone else than for oneself.

My previously offered text is abridged slightly, a postscript. See the highlight at <http://www.diigo.com/04q5m>.

FWIW you might try removing, or setting aside, any front/page foreground forewarning of restrictions. Simply allow the user to encounter the invitation, the form is pleasingly clear and simple so (my guess) you will receive few questions concerning authority to post.

Regards
Graham

RE: How to join members?

Brian "The Iceman"