How to handle paid subscriptions

Coleen_Astalos
I'm testing out Nabble as a replacement to a Yahoogroup I currently have (Yahoo has made a ton of changes that are impacting my group - but that's a separate issue).

The membership to my group is closed (not open to the general public) and members pay a fee to participate.  So I'm trying to figure out how to handle that on Nabble.  When a person's membership expires (ie. they no longer paid their dues) how can I remove access to Nabble without deleting their account & posts?  (frequently they come back after a few weeks when they have money to pay their dues again).

I'm thinking maybe I could create a new usergroup called "expired members" or something that basically have no permissions?  And then assign them to that usergroup?  Then when they pay their dues again, I can move them back to membership status.

My concern is if a members account is deleted, then all their posts go away (which I really don't understand why) and then they join again - but all their posts are now gone.  Is there a way to remove them without removing their posts?

Thanks,
Coleen

Re: How to handle paid subscriptions

Harvey
You could move them to a group that has permission to view but not post or reply to threads.

Depending on how many members you have that could be some work?

RE: How to handle paid subscriptions

Coleen_Astalos

Actually they need to have NO access (I can do that right?)   Out of my over 1,000 subscribers, only 10% are active posters, the remaining 90% are just lurkers and read the ideas shared by the 10%.  So I'd need to make sure that if they haven't paid their dues they can't even read what's being shared (otherwise no reason to pay their dues).

I'm still concerned that they could decide to "remove" themselves from the group and then any threads that they contributed to while they were members would be lost (they do sign an agreement when they join that they understand their posts will remain on the site - even if they are no longer a member).  So I really need to figure out how to remove that capability.

Thanks,

Coleen

slb5
SUDSOL Leadership Board
[hidden email]

Find us on  Facebook,  Twitter and pinterest.png Pinterest

You could move them to a group that has permission to view but not post or reply to threads.

Depending on how many members you have that could be some work?

To unsubscribe from How to handle paid subscriptions, click here.
NAML

RE: How to handle paid subscriptions

GregChapman
Coleen_Astalos wrote
Actually they need to have NO access (I can do that right?)
Indeed, just remove view access from the "Anyone" group, then all that someone sees is a login screen.  I assume you have a site or other place where people find out about your forum. If not then just make our "real forum" a sub-forum and remove "View" permission from that for all except paid-up members.
Out of my over 1,000 subscribers, only 10% are active posters, the remaining 90% are just lurkers and read the ideas shared by the 10%.  So I'd need to make sure that if they haven't paid their dues they can't even read what's being shared (otherwise no reason to pay their dues).
Checking on payment has to be a totally manual process outside of Nabble. You need to add and remove your paid-up users from the "Member" group as necessary.
I'm still concerned that they could decide to "remove" themselves from the
group and then any threads that they contributed to while they were members
would be lost (they do sign an agreement when they join that they understand
their posts will remain on the site - even if they are no longer a member).
So I really need to figure out how to remove that capability.
Nabble grants the poster full control over their own posts, not the forum administrator, so there is no system, as standard, in Nabble to retain access to a user who chooses to remove their posts. You would need to  edit the NAML for your forum to prevent it. (There are currently other topics discussing this issue, so it will be best to follow them.)

In all normal circumstances it is not an issue. As you report, typically, a poster just loose interest in a forum and disappears. (Because there is no mechanism within Nabble to see when a user last logged on, there is no way to distinguish between as lurker and a registered user who has just abandoned a forum - again there is a current topic which seeks to address this issue.) Almost the only case where a user is likely to delete his posts is when he is in feels abused by other users or is in dispute with the forum administrator.

RE: How to handle paid subscriptions

Just to make it clear, when someone leaves a forum, his posts are not automatically deleted.

RE: How to handle paid subscriptions

Coleen_Astalos

Right, if they just choose to leave and not delete their account.  But if they choose to delete their account, then they are deleted, right?  This is what I want to avoid.

-Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, [hidden email]
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!