How to get a forum like the Mono forum, on Nabble2

How to get a forum like the Mono forum, on Nabble2

Charles Goodwin
The Mono forums have, for me, the idea frontpage layout:
http://go-mono.com/forums/

How to create a forum like this, on Nabble2?  I can't figure it out.

Also their 'root' forum link (which links to http://www.nabble.com/Mono-f1367.html ) redirects to their website where it is embedded.  Is that possible with Nabble2?

Re: How to get a forum like the Mono forum, on Nabble2

Hugo <Nabble>
Charles Goodwin wrote
The Mono forums have, for me, the idea frontpage layout:
http://go-mono.com/forums/

How to create a forum like this, on Nabble2?  I can't figure it out.
The layout of the Mono forum belongs to the old Nabble system (www.nabble.com).
What exactly do you like about that layout?
Note that the layout of Nabble2 forums aren't that different, except that they are much simpler and don't display all sub-forums right ahead.
Charles Goodwin wrote
Also their 'root' forum link (which links to http://www.nabble.com/Mono-f1367.html ) redirects to their website where it is embedded.  Is that possible with Nabble2?
Yes. If you have an embedded forum, visit it and click on "Options > Embedding options". The redirect option is there.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: How to get a forum like the Mono forum, on Nabble2

Charles Goodwin
The problem with N2 is that if you select the topics view, it's not immediately obvious to new users how to post.  The subforums are somewhat hidden (unless there are recent posts in them, in which case they are directly linked to the right) so you have to put a big notice in the description directing posters to click on the 'subforums' link to find the correct subforum before posting.

Seems to be a usability weakness - of course, perhaps you guys disagree.  The Nabble1 version seems more obvious to me.

Re: How to get a forum like the Mono forum, on Nabble2

Graham Perrin
Charles Goodwin wrote
it's not immediately obvious to new users how to post.
As a forum owner, I struggled with this whilst a forum and its children were empty. It's easier to visualise as population occurs.

Compare:
<http://n2.nabble.com/-f1803106.html>
<http://n2.nabble.com/-f2192029.html>

At the parent forum: the effect of
[√] Restrict New Topics
is clear directions for user new users:

Use Sub-Forums to Post

  • New Topic

  • New Topic

— in the parent and its two sub-forums respectively.

At your <http://n2.nabble.com/catalog/EditForumFormat.jtp?forum=f2192029>, try Mixed View.

Regards
Graham