How to display subforum and topic descriptions left-justified?

How to display subforum and topic descriptions left-justified?

Ken Winter
How can I get my forum's sub-forum and topic description text to show up left-justified instead of centered?

When the description is lengthy, centered text is hard to read, as this screen shot illustrates: Doc1.doc

Re: How to display subforum and topic descriptions left-justified?

GregChapman
Go to:
Options > Application > Change Appearance > CSS

and add the following code to the dialogue there:
div#forum-header {
  text-align: left;
  }
However, I strongly urge you to reconsider your plan!

What you are showing in your forum description is not a "description" but a full-on post and should be made as such.

As a piece of important background and explanation about the forum it should be pinned, so it always appears as a "sticky" items that appears at the top of the list of forum posts.

A description should be just that - one or two short sentences that summarise the function, purpose or content the current area - perhaps with a prompt that newcomers should read the forum rules or other pinned topics.

By including your explanatory post as a "description" - you force everyone who has seen it before to scroll a vast distance down the page in order to read the stuff that will be of interest to them.

How many of the big, popular and successful sites do you visit that force you to scroll a mile to see what you really came to see? None! There's a good reason for that. The kind of information you post as a description is always placed under a link with a prompt for new visitors to read it. Learn from the experts. Do it their way!

Re: How to display subforum and topic descriptions left-justified?

Ken Winter
Thanks, Greg ~

Good advice, well stated.

I have restructured my forum accordingly, and it makes a lot more sense.

~ Ken